Re: snots & fonts

    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2006
      Hi Peter

      There is a lengthy discussion about this over at Typophile. I'm not
      sure I would venture to say the type design community had a hurrah,
      though some of them might have. This became more an issue of free speech.

      My defense of Luc would be that he is a mathematician with an interest
      in fonts and typefaces and had access to McGill's search engine, so
      long ago he set it to find everything there is on fonts and typefaces
      on the internet and everything that showed up went into the site. A
      spectrum of what is going on in the world of type, which includes
      theft and piracy. I can't say that I have ever seen anything where he
      personally advocated theft or piracy. Though I have seen articles
      where he is often critical of the powers that be.

      A couple of points though in regard to your post:

      I think most folks who are after free fonts would never consider
      buying a font anyway.

      Bundled fonts by the major foundries itself devalued the worth of
      fonts to the average user.

      With the complexity involved in producing OpenType fonts, the free
      font movement is essentially dead, and all that really remains is the
      remnants of the 1990s.

      Folks who copy fonts from foundries and issue them as their own rarely
      attend to the technical qualities of a typeface, and often convert
      them to the TrueType format, so their fonts are essentially useless
      for any productive purpose.

      Current bit torrent software/technology and mentality ("sharing") has
      made all and any protection of software essentially useless.

      I am on your side. Folks should get paid for their work, or there will
      not be any quality work. But Luc is not the problem. He only provided
      the access links. It is ultimately up to the individual if they want
      to steal. And that is their problem.

      Gerald

      > Hmm. The type design community had a short but hearty hurrah.
      >
      > This 'publisher' is well known for his disdain of intellectual
      property and the creative efforts of type designers.
      > In particular his links to known font and software pirates have been
      a continual source of dispute.

      > Before writing this note, I went to said site, and indeed, there is
      much of potential value there.
      > It's only too bad that the publisher would not leave well enough alone.
      >
      > It's one thing to give away one's own property, another to encourage
      others to give their own away, but quite another indeed, to give away
      another's property... or to encourage those that do.

      > While we may believe that Adobe, Apple or Microsoft can absorb the
      loss of type sales (and in fact, often give fonts away as part of the
      OS, or as marketing incentives), it is not true at all for the small
      professional foundries, whether Hoefler & Frere-Jones, Font Bureau,
      P22, et alia

      > When the fellow encourages the pirating of original type design from
      these creative hardworking designers, I think he deserves censure and
      disdain himself.

      > He apparently attempts to make himself known at conferences as some
      sort of expert, but I don't believe he has designed a type family
      himself, nor tried to make a living doing so.

      > As an example, amongst his listings (many of which are wildly
      obsolete, btw) is a large enthusiastic review of "@p0str0phic
      Labor@t0rie5" * whose proprietor is alleged (in fact was sued and
      found liable, if I'm not mistaken) to have taken commercial fonts, run
      them through an editor to change -- nothing, essentially, except the
      copyright -- and then release them as "free". In fact, said
      proprietor, if I'm not mistaken, cheerfully acknowledged and bragged
      thereof.

      > This is not an academic discussing pornography, to cite an analogy
      I've seen bandied about.

      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2006
        To further reinforce this. For me to point to this link, which can be
        found by anyone searching the net:

        http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=459434

        does this mean I advocate theft? It is only informational. The
        recipient of that information has to make their own ethical/moral
        decision.

        [though for any with greedier tastes than shaky knees, bit torrent has
        its own punishment, your computer will likely be compromised by a bad
        guy in what, maybe, a couple of minutes or so?]

        More info on bit torrent here
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bittorrent

        And to think, the web held such promise. But, invite everyone in and
        what do you get? personal websites, personal blogging, flickr personal
        photo sharing, frappr personal here I am look at me or whatever that
        is all about; everything brought down to the basic lowest common
        denominator: an old sin, Greed, and a 21st century sin, Posing.

        Peter, this ain't about Luc, it's about us.

        Gerald