Re: clean your bulbs!

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2006
      I've had a number of private responses to this post so this afternoon
      I wrote a small essay on the subject of bulb changing, why and how,
      and posted it over at

      http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

      "On scales and lamps" is on the (new) Technical Issues page. A mundane
      subject to be sure but there is some useful information there on
      checking to ensure your replacement bulbs are all functional (they
      often aren't).

      Gerald
    • Blue Barnhouse
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2006
        You were quite perceptive on the dusty bulb issues. We disconnected
        our exhaust when we switched the platemaker to a fresh water system..
        lack of exhaust lead to dusty bulbs, botched plates, etc. The
        exhaust was disconnected because we had no where to vent it and the
        fresh water does not have fumes.... and we kind of like the quiet.

        Brandon

        Blue Barnhouse
        428-B Haywood Rd.
        Asheville, NC 28806
        828.225.3991

        info@...
        www.bluebarnhouse.org

        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2006
          Brandon

          I don't know about the exhaust requirements of a machine originally set
          up for chemical based processing but the A&V Orbitals do have exposure
          fans. The fans themselves do get quite dusty and need to be blown out on
          occasion but their purpose is not to vent fumes but rather heat (they
          also obviously pull dust out of the exposure unit). The ballasts will
          start degenerating if the temperature in their environment is not
          controlled. I've got 14 of them in my unit and at $34 a pop for
          replacement I think I will keep those fans connected!!!

          Gerald