negatives from Epson inkjet printer

  • typetom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2002
      Hi all,
      I just received the following kind email and info from David Kern. He said it
      would be fine to share it with the list. Probably of interest to others
      besides myself:

      <<Dear typetom,
      I was on the PPletterpress digest list for a few days. I didn't have
      enough time to keep up and I haven't had much luck with navigating
      yahoo's lists,so I unsubscribed. I was clearing out my emails when I came
      across your interest in making your own negs for plates on an Epson. This
      is becoming more commonplace in alt photo circles. Check out
      danburkholder.com--his book is highly recommended and he also has some
      general info on his website. In a nutshell, the first step is to use
      Pictorico OHP film as your substrate--no other transparency material
      holds the ink well. If you're using an Epson 1270 or 870, you can
      generate a quality neg with proper settings in your printer dialog box.
      This is the also case, I believe, with a 750. With the 1280 and many
      other printers, you must convert it to an orange-ish mask which will
      block out exposure under UV--similar to a color negative. This is a bit
      more complicated but Burkholder explains it well in his book. Granted,
      the book is aimed at photographic uses but the same principles apply for
      type. If you have more questions, feel free to contact me at
      dkern@....
      Sincerely, David Kern>>

      I have the Epson Stylus Color 850. My previous experiments failed to get
      opaque enough inking to block UV light. Epson's more recent inkjet has yet
      more sophisticated inking options that might be the difference. I will check
      out the Dan Burkholder book soon as I can!
      Thanks to David, & the List, and best wishes, Tom

      Tom Parson
      Now It's Up To You Publications
      157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
      (303) 777-8951