Re: [PPLetterpress] heidelberg paper suction

  • Vivian Leung
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 25, 2006
      Hi Alan,

      For 140lb printmaking stock, we do the following:
      - tilt: 1
      - blower: 2nd or 3rd notch
      - use the extra finger attachment on the left of the feed table by
      the sucker bar. I usually have the piece of metal come out about 1/2
      inch over the paper and move all the little metal fingers towards the
      stock
      - and make sure the pile of stock is at least 1/2 inch from those
      little metal fingers
      - when I need to make adjustments, it's usually the blower lever on
      the bottom right of the feed table and the distance between the
      little metal fingers and the paper pile.

      I hit a big snafoo printing 300lb printmaking stock, the gripper took
      seven sheets and locked up the impression bar and stopped the press.
      Don't want to make THAT mistake again.

      Hope this helps! I don't have much experience on the Windmill but
      those adjustments I mentioned usually helps me get out of the
      'picking up more than one sheet at a time' jams.

      Warmest regards,

      Vivian

    • alan_henderson@timeinc.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 25, 2006
        Mike-

        Thanks very much for the info. I'm not sure how to lower the sheet separator blower holes. Is that the feed blower on the lower right hand side of the feed table?

        Thanks again-

        Alan

        2) Reduce the sheet separator blower pressure
        3) Lower the sheet separator blower holes

        Mike

        I am working on a 10x15 Heidelberg and am having trouble with the suckers
        picking up more
        than 1 sheet at a time. The stock I am using is 100# cover eggshell with
        clean cuts on the
        edges. I have even turned off all but 1 of the suckers and the suckers still
        want to pick up
        several pieces at a time. Are there any adjustments that can be made? Is it
        the humidity
        making the paper stick together? Static electricity?

        Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

        Thanks in advance -

        Alan Henderson

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        _____

      • Michael T. Metz
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 25, 2006
          Yup.

          Sounds like you are just getting started using
          this press. I would highly recommend getting
          George Mill's book.

[...]

          * Visit your group "PPLetterpress
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PPLetterpress> " on the web.

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • alan_henderson@timeinc.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 25, 2006
            you got it. i am new to the heidelberg.
            thanks again mike.

            Alan

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 25, 2006
              hi vivian-

              thanks very much for the info! i'll give it try.

              alan

              For 140lb printmaking stock, we do the following:
              - tilt: 1
              - blower: 2nd or 3rd notch
              - use the extra finger attachment on the left of the feed table by
              the sucker bar. I usually have the piece of metal come out about 1/2
              inch over the paper and move all the little metal fingers towards the
              stock
              - and make sure the pile of stock is at least 1/2 inch from those
              little metal fingers
              - when I need to make adjustments, it's usually the blower lever on
              the bottom right of the feed table and the distance between the
              little metal fingers and the paper pile.

              I hit a big snafoo printing 300lb printmaking stock, the gripper took
              seven sheets and locked up the impression bar and stopped the press.
              Don't want to make THAT mistake again.

              Hope this helps! I don't have much experience on the Windmill but
              those adjustments I mentioned usually helps me get out of the
              'picking up more than one sheet at a time' jams.

              Warmest regards,

              Vivian

              On Apr 25, 2006, at 7:44 PM, stuartalan22 wrote:

              > hello-
              >
              > I am working on a 10x15 Heidelberg and am having trouble with the
              > suckers picking up more
              > than 1 sheet at a time. The stock I am using is 100# cover eggshell
              > with clean cuts on the
              > edges. I have even turned off all but 1 of the suckers and the
              > suckers still want to pick up
              > several pieces at a time. Are there any adjustments that can be
              > made? Is it the humidity
              > making the paper stick together? Static electricity?
              >
              > Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
              >
              > Thanks in advance -
              >
              > Alan Henderson
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              _____

            • parallel_imp
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 25, 2006
                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "stuartalan22"
                <alan_henderson@...> wrote:

                > I am working on a 10x15 Heidelberg and am having trouble with the
                > suckers picking up more than 1 sheet at a time.

                Alan, another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, perhaps because it
                is so elementary:
                paper needs to be fanned and winded before it is put in the feeder
                pile. If it just goes straight in from the package or the paper
                cutter, you won't get single-sheet feeding. You need to massage each
                lift of paper to break the natural clinging of the paper.
                Eric Holub, SF
              • Judith Behr

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 25, 2006
                    >2) Reduce the sheet separator blower pressure
                    >3) Lower the sheet separator blower holes
                    >
                    >Mike

                    There are two more crucial things:
                    4) sucker angle
                    5) pile height.

                    I've found that the metal fingers are seldom necessary if you have the appropriate settings for pile height, sucker angle and amount of air blowing on the front of the pile. You want to hear the vacuum pulling for a second before it grabs the sheet, so it is working a bit. It shouldn't be too easy for it to pick the top sheet up, let alone a second sheet. Sort of a "fffffffffft-thwip" sound is what you want to hear. You want to see the top six or eight sheets separating from the air blowing across them, so that the top sheet is blown up, almost, to the sucker bar. If the sucker bar seems like it grabs the sheet too easily, tilt it so it has more angle. You'll know you've tilted it too far when it keeps missing and not picking a sheet up.

                    It's just trial and error when you are learning, but with time you get a sense of what needs adjusting.

                    Joel

                    Dependable Letterpress
                    San Francisco
                  • Harold Kyle
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 26, 2006
                      On 4/26/06 12:12 AM, "Joel at D.L." <dep.letterpress@...> wrote:

                      > "fffffffffft-thwip"

                      That¹s what we like to hear!

                      Like Joel said, I would try some combination of more sucker angle (higher
                      number), lower feed table, and more blower. Fan out your sheets. Check your
                      air lines to make sure they¹re connected and delivering a good blast to the
                      blowers.

                      Good luck!
                      Harold

                      Boxcar Press

                    • stuartalan22
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 26, 2006
                        thanks to all who reponded to my question concerning paper suction.
                        your reponses were very helpful and i am currently working on making
                        the adjustments. what an incredible resource this group is.

                        thanks again!

                        alan henderson