Re: [PPLetterpress] Hardwired for Alphabets (or, ET write home!)

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 22, 2006
      Peter

      I read one of these reports about a week ago and wondered what would
      constitute a non "natural" form to the researchers. Hasn't it been
      assumed for some long time now that pictorial symbols, meant to
      metaphorically represent natural forms, slowly evolved and abstracted
      into the written forms of most surviving languages? Wouldn't the
      limitations of implement and substrate also play a significant role in
      the organic nature of written forms?

      One of the reasons characters "possess the same shapes as they always
      did" may very well be because the advent of mechanical technologies
      halted further development in form.

      There are, as well, certain common symbols, that have no natural form,
      such as the chevron and other abstractions, that perceptual studies
      indicate may be embedded (as a consequence of the wiring of the brain),
      rather than learned.

      But if Changizi's logic is to be followed, let's hope ET lives on a
      rock-based planet.