clean your bulbs!

  • Blue Barnhouse
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 13, 2006
      On the recommendation of this list I changed out my bulbs-- as we
      were consistently getting unevenly exposed plates. Upon removal of
      our bulbs it suddenly became clear what our problem was: The bulbs
      were filthy. Apparently they are dust magnets. At any rate we now
      have a spare set for when the bulbs actually ARE useless.

      yrs,

      Blue Barnhouse
      428-B Haywood Rd.
      Asheville, NC 28806
      828.225.3991

      info@...
      www.bluebarnhouse.org
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 13, 2006
        Hi

        There might be something else going on that is causing the dust
        problem. My shop is in a very old warehosue with a significant dust
        problem but I've not encountered this.

        As an aside, I was talking to a fellow who was changing his bulbs
        every six months due to the work load. He said he was able to find an
        outlet in Brooklyn at a cost of something like $100. I'd been paying
        near $400 from A&V for the same product!!! Unfortunately, I did not
        take notes during the conversation. Though when it comes to it next
        time I am certainly going to do some Goggling.

        Basically I change the bulbs when the exposure rate is beginning to
        grow a bit over the top but it is somewhat surprising to me how well
        they do still perform even when the tests would indicate they need to
        be replaced. I'd guess the scales are less to be trusted than the eye.

        In California, a recent law indicates you can no longer dispose of
        these unless they are taken to an appropriate disposal center. None of
        which, as far as I can tell, have yet been set up though the fine is
        something like $10,000 if you toss em in the dumpster. I wonder if alt
        processing folks would be interested in viable bulbs that are
        routinely removed from commerical machines simply because the exposure
        rate has jumped a scale or two?

        Gerald

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Blue Barnhouse

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 24, 2006
          Hi

          I came back to this because I changed my bulbs tonight. Not exactly
          one of my favorite activities. As I mentioned in my initial reply, I
          don't find that the bulbs are dust magnets. But I should mention that
          the exhaust fans behind them do need to be blown out during the change
          over. As I recall (though I can't find your original post in this
          regard) your platemaker is a converted machine from flexography use?
          Does it have exhaust fans behind the bulb rack? If not, maybe some
          kind of an exhaust fan set up would help? If so, hmmm.

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 29, 2006
            I've had a number of private responses to this post so this afternoon
            I wrote a small essay on the subject of bulb changing, why and how,
            and posted it over at

            http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

            "On scales and lamps" is on the (new) Technical Issues page. A mundane
            subject to be sure but there is some useful information there on
            checking to ensure your replacement bulbs are all functional (they
            often aren't).

            Gerald
          • Blue Barnhouse
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2006
              You were quite perceptive on the dusty bulb issues. We disconnected
              our exhaust when we switched the platemaker to a fresh water system..
              lack of exhaust lead to dusty bulbs, botched plates, etc. The
              exhaust was disconnected because we had no where to vent it and the
              fresh water does not have fumes.... and we kind of like the quiet.

              Brandon

              Blue Barnhouse
              428-B Haywood Rd.
              Asheville, NC 28806
              828.225.3991

              info@...
              www.bluebarnhouse.org

              Message 6 of 6 , May 1, 2006
                Brandon

                I don't know about the exhaust requirements of a machine originally set
                up for chemical based processing but the A&V Orbitals do have exposure
                fans. The fans themselves do get quite dusty and need to be blown out on
                occasion but their purpose is not to vent fumes but rather heat (they
                also obviously pull dust out of the exposure unit). The ballasts will
                start degenerating if the temperature in their environment is not
                controlled. I've got 14 of them in my unit and at $34 a pop for
                replacement I think I will keep those fans connected!!!

                Gerald