Re: [PPLetterpress] web design

  • Lance Williams
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 4 1:53 PM
      Dave,

      I use a commercial hosting provider, and have not known about any
      problems, I know that version 6 has had a few issues when upgrading from
      files created with version 5, which all of my pages were originally... I
      thought I had worked through all of them, but maybe not... I heard
      recently from someone that the site was not coming up properly, but did not
      get any real information as to what was wrong... Maybe the same issues as
      you with FireFox... I don't have that email anymore to refer to... What
      are the specific problems you have with the site??

      I'll still say for $50, WebEasy Pro is a great package, especially when
      compared to the price of FrontPage or the other commercial web design
      packages... But there are probably other lower cost page design programs
      for personal page design that are just as good....

      - Lance

    • Chad Pastotnik
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 4 2:04 PM
        I used Mozilla to create my website and several others all hosted by
        Jatol.com which has excellent service and offers quite affordable
        packages depending on your needs. It may not have all the fancy
        features but it's FREE, stable and cross platform.

        Chad

        p.s. Also all done on a slow dial-up connection which is all I can get
        up here in the still white N. Michigan.
        _____________________________

        Chad Pastotnik
        Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
        http://www.deepwoodpress.com

      • Jason Dewinetz
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 4 2:28 PM
          I get a kick out of these applications; as though "web" development was an
          "easy" thing to do like a "pro."

          Dreamweaver (was Macromedia, now Adobe) is, of course, the industry standard
          web development tool, but it can be a bit daunting for new users. The point,
          of course, is that it's unreasonable to think that just because you might
          know a few HTML tags you should go ahead and attempt to build a site that
          will meet even the simplest of technical or aesthetic standards. I'm biased,
          of course, as both a book and web designer, but it really is disappointing
          how many publishers and organizations are willing to have a very poorly
          designed and coded site represent them on the internet. That bright orange
          tie with the mustard all over it says a lot about the guy wearing it, and so
          does a site plagued by a distracting background, cheesy buttons, sloppy
          typography and default link styles.

          Don't get me wrong, I know that many publishers/organizations don't even
          have sufficient budgets to afford decent design for their books and other
          projects, let alone for their web site, but, like anything, you get what you
          pay for in this arena, as in any other. Cheap & "easy" web applications will
          help you to produce cheap and flaky web sites, or a college kid at $10/hr
          can do the same.

          Bethany, good for you for seeking some outside help, you'll be glad you did.
          I'm sure there are a handful of good design shops in your area, and working
          with someone local will make your life much easier when it comes to updates
          & maintenance.

          Jason Dewinetz

          I use WebEasy Pro, version 6.0. Available from CompUSA for $50 or so....
          It's a fairly complete package, and fairly intuitive... I use it for the
          Letterpress Printers of the World website as well as our business website
          and a few others I maintain.....

          - Lance Williams
          Williams Stationery Co.
          Camden, New York
          APA #785

        • David Michael McNamara
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 4 2:47 PM
            For what it's worth, I brought the site up in Firefox and IE, and the only difference I see is a little less border in on than the other. But then I didn't examine it or go through all the links, so....
            __

            David
            I use a commercial hosting provider, and have not known about any
            problems, I know that version 6 has had a few issues when upgrading from
            files created with version 5, which all of my pages were originally... I
            thought I had worked through all of them, but maybe not... I heard
            recently from someone that the site was not coming up properly, but did not
            get any real information as to what was wrong... Maybe the same issues as
            you with FireFox... I don't have that email anymore to refer to... What
            are the specific problems you have with the site??

            I'll still say for $50, WebEasy Pro is a great package, especially when
            compared to the price of FrontPage or the other commercial web design
            packages... But there are probably other lower cost page design programs
            for personal page design that are just as good....

            - Lance

          • Carole Aldrich
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 4 3:17 PM
              I totally agree. I feel the same about those who try to do their own
              print design when they are not designers. That said, get thee to a
              bookstore and buy Robin Williams book "The Non-Designer's Web Book"
              published by Peachpit Press, or any of Robin's basic design books and
              follow her advice. They are the best.
            • Lance Williams
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 4 4:03 PM
                But, when you have inherited a business that is $200,000 in debt, but love
                the business, and want to do anything and everything to try to rebuild the
                business, short of liquidating the place for about 50% of the debt load,
                you have to resort to doing as much as you can yourself.... My father died
                in December 2003, and my wife and I have been struggling to rebuild the
                business since then... I have been working there for 25 years, but my
                father managed to hide a lot of the financial problems for many years....
                Now we have all this letterpress equipment sitting idle most days because
                we no longer have the business to keep things operating...

                On the PPL side of things: We have a current NEW customer asking about
                printing halftone photographic images. I have always used magnesium plates
                from either Hodgins Engraving or Owosso. Now I am wondering about the use
                of Photopolymer, especially since Harold Kyle is only about 35 miles away,
                and I could run over for a visit, work on fixing one of his presses for a
                morning in exchange for some plate work <grin>... What is the maximum line
                screen resolution you can expect with polymer plates?? One of these days I
                have to pick up a copy of Gerald's book and start learning about these
                things....

                - Lance Williams
                Williams Stationery Co.
                Camden, New York
                APA #785

              • Harold Kyle
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 4 4:16 PM
                  We¹d be happy to help with your photopolymer plates, should you need any. I
                  usually say that the line screens that the photopolymer holds exceed what
                  you¹d be able to print well on a letterpress. The Jet 94FL, for instance,
                  can hold a 200 line screen according to its data sheet. Usually, though
                  letterpress printers stay within the 85 to 133 line screen range, with 100
                  lpi probably the most popular.

                  I hope this helps,
                  Harold

                  On 4/4/06 7:03 PM, "Lance Williams" <lwwill7999@...> wrote:

                  > What is the maximum line
                  > screen resolution you can expect with polymer plates??

                  Boxcar Press

                • Casey
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 4 6:17 PM
                    I can help you build or design. to see my work go to link
                    below.Caseyhttp://www.mcgarrcreative.com

                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 5 1:34 AM
                      Jason

                      There were a couple of recent notices in Microsoft Typography about
                      purposeful bad (simple) web design and how it is more effective. I'd
                      tend to agree, and apparently so would eBay, Yahoo, flickr, etc.

                      Here's one of the links

                      http://arts.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1729662,00.html

                      The argument is that folks are searching for information, the faster
                      and easier it is to access the better. Every time I go to a "graphic
                      design" site and have to sit there and watch the thing mysteriously
                      unwind or try to guess which icon or whatever I'm supposed to click on
                      to be illuminated, basically, I'm out of there. I'm looking for
                      information; I don't care how clever the websmaster is. I can find my
                      entertainment elsewhere.

                      Gerald

                      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Dewinetz" <jason@...> wrote:

                      > I get a kick out of these applications; as though "web" development
                      was an
                      > "easy" thing to do like a "pro."
                      >
                      > Dreamweaver (was Macromedia, now Adobe) is, of course, the industry
                      standard
                      > web development tool, but it can be a bit daunting for new users.
                      The point,
                      > of course, is that it's unreasonable to think that just because you
                      might
                      > know a few HTML tags you should go ahead and attempt to build a site
                      that
                      > will meet even the simplest of technical or aesthetic standards. I'm
                      biased,
                      > of course, as both a book and web designer, but it really is
                      disappointing
                      > how many publishers and organizations are willing to have a very poorly
                      > designed and coded site represent them on the internet. That bright
                      orange
                      > tie with the mustard all over it says a lot about the guy wearing
                      it, and so
                      > does a site plagued by a distracting background, cheesy buttons, sloppy
                      > typography and default link styles.
                      >
                      > Don't get me wrong, I know that many publishers/organizations don't
                      even
                      > have sufficient budgets to afford decent design for their books and
                      other
                      > projects, let alone for their web site, but, like anything, you get
                      what you
                      > pay for in this arena, as in any other. Cheap & "easy" web
                      applications will
                      > help you to produce cheap and flaky web sites, or a college kid at
                      $10/hr
                      > can do the same.
                      >
                      > Bethany, good for you for seeking some outside help, you'll be glad
                      you did.
                      > I'm sure there are a handful of good design shops in your area, and
                      working
                      > with someone local will make your life much easier when it comes to
                      updates
                      > & maintenance.
                      >

                      > Jason Dewinetz

                    • Paul Romaine
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 5 4:56 AM
                        With HTML, and with websites, I've come to believe that cleaner is
                        better. It's easier to maintain pages without loads of easily
                        out-dated scripts and semi-useful doo-dads that add minimally to
                        usability. Just look at image maps: in the mid-1990s they were the
                        rage yet they usually added little to user information and frequently
                        caused problems for people with low bandwidth. Then there were (are)
                        those clever mouseover scripts that were (are) easy to break (often
                        rendering a page unreadable), and added little to the Web experience.
                        If it doesn't make life better for yourself and your visitors, it's
                        not worthwhile. If it doesn't make your web authoring easier, it's
                        fritterware (Jim Seymour's term in PC Magazine, ca. 1998). I don't
                        necessarily do all the good practices myself, but I'm planning to.
                        (Like Augustine, I say, 'I will repent, Lord, but just a little bit
                        later.')

                        Unrelated, but of use: The World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C)
                        Guidelines on Web Page Content accessibility
                        http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WAI-WEBCONTENT-19990505/ is one of the most
                        important documents to come along in a long time. Ostensibly about
                        making content available to people with disabilities, these
                        recommendations go far beyond that. See esp the checklist.

                        Anything by Jakob Neilsen is worthwhile. See esp his article (dated
                        but still relevant) on making websites for people with disabilities:
                        http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990613.html His website is www.useit.com

                        -Paul

                        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...> wrote:
                        > There were a couple of recent notices in Microsoft Typography about
                        > purposeful bad (simple) web design and how it is more effective. I'd
                        > tend to agree, and apparently so would eBay, Yahoo, flickr, etc.
                        >
                        > Here's one of the links
                        >
                        > http://arts.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1729662,00.html
                        >
                        > The argument is that folks are searching for information, the faster
                        > and easier it is to access the better. Every time I go to a "graphic
                        > design" site and have to sit there and watch the thing mysteriously
                        > unwind or try to guess which icon or whatever I'm supposed to click on
                        > to be illuminated, basically, I'm out of there. I'm looking for
                        > information; I don't care how clever the websmaster is. I can find my
                        > entertainment elsewhere.
                      • Jason Dewinetz
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 5 10:10 AM
                          Gerald,

                          "It's bad design, not good design, that makes an impression."

                          Yes, but what sort of impression?

                          Would the same argument hold up for book work? Perhaps, but, once again, is
                          the goal to make "an impression" or to fascilitate the reader's experience?
                          Just as on the web, the world is full of bad print design, from magazines
                          with hidden TOCs and ridiculous typography to books with completely
                          inadequate margins, sloppy word-spacing and solid leading set in a
                          completely inappropriate type. All of this makes an impression, and all of
                          it is bad design and difficult to read.

                          Good design on the web doesn't mean inaccessable, any more than it does in
                          print work, and both require serious restraint guided by a responsibility to
                          the reader before anything else. I agree that many "graphic design" sites
                          break all kinds of rules, often making the user's experience problematic,
                          but so too has much book work in the name of experimentation and progress.
                          Such sites aren't necessarily meant for continuous reading or even simple
                          information gathering, they are for showcasing graphic design.

                          What I was refering to, however, were specifically sites representing
                          publishers and book-ish things, and what is good for the goose (book work)
                          should also be important to the gander: clean, well designed content in a
                          format that is pleasing to look at.

                          The headline and lead in the article you linked to miss the point entirely,
                          as far as I'm concerned. Ugly doesn't mean easier to read or more
                          accessible. At best it might mean not cluttered with gimmicks and Flash. But
                          remove the gimmicks and Flash and web developers are not left with "ugly,"
                          they're left with the same basic principles of book work; it's just that
                          very few people have the skill or experience to know how to blend
                          accessibility, functionality, with clean layout & typography.

                          Again, the word you used is in my top three hit-list in the electronic
                          publishing class I teach at the University of Victoria: I tell the students
                          every year that marks will be deducted from their projects if I'm forced
                          into using any of these three terms: "clever," "cute," or "cliched." All
                          three are signs of inexperience, and all three insult the user/reader. The
                          phrase I do want to use for their projects, and anything I read on the web
                          or in a book, is "understated yet effective."

                          "Bad" design is neither of those things. Bad design just "doesn't work and
                          offends the eye."

> [...]

                          > typography and default link styles.
                          >
                          > Don't get me wrong, I know that many publishers/organizations don't
                          even
                          > have sufficient budgets to afford decent design for their books and
                          other
                          > projects, let alone for their web site, but, like anything, you get
                          what you
                          > pay for in this arena, as in any other. Cheap & "easy" web
                          applications will
                          > help you to produce cheap and flaky web sites, or a college kid at
                          $10/hr
                          > can do the same.
                          >
                          > Bethany, good for you for seeking some outside help, you'll be glad
                          you did.
                          > I'm sure there are a handful of good design shops in your area, and
                          working
                          > with someone local will make your life much easier when it comes to

                          Contemporary book Book printing

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          Visit your group "PPLetterpress" on the web.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 5 11:00 AM
                            (Plone context in the PS
                            (Marketing & design context midway...

                            Ah, ok.
                            Since the thread continues... I'll toss my two bits in....

                            -.

                            :-)

                            I taught a semester in the Industrial Design Dept of the Architectural Univ of Venezia in Treviso (about 30 km N of Venice, Italy)[1] a few years ago (Oct 01-Jan 02). The title was "Information Design for the WWW" (more or less).

                            Typography, in my view, IS information design, and without a clear understanding of the semantic structure of what is to be communicated, one is without a mooring in the Semiotic Sea.

                            My students, mostly 'industrial designers' (ie, for Italian industry: lighting, shoes, clothing, autos) were given a text (I think I used something from http://gutenberg.org -- Aesop's Fables, if I recall ) without any 'formatting' other than the line spacing between sections (a chapter head would have had more lines before and after than a paragraph, for instance)

                            The task was to analyze the semantic structure and describe it in an XML Document Type Definition, or an SQL database schema.

                            I had a guest lecturer from an online magazine who described his use of XSLT (Extensible Stylesheet Language for Transformations) to take XML structured content and reshape its presentation (ie the typographic and visual structuring of the page) automatically, depending on the end user's requirements.

                            The XML (or db) can then be transformed into HTML for web presentation with a related CSS style sheet.
                            (or sent to M&H for output as Monotype, or even imported into InDesign for PDF > PPLetterpress pages! There, back on topic!)

                            The point to the above being: good communication depends on clear presentation ('good design'), which starts with clear language -- organized, structured, and presented in a logical hierarchy.

                            This, as I pointed out to my Gucci [2] and Maserati [3] designers (they hoped!), is a concept which goes all the way back to Alcuin (8th C) (qv), Charlemagne's tutor and master scribe, who is credited with the development of the Carolingian minuscule, and the use of that script, along with a small number of others in a 'hierarchy of scripts'. [4] That is, that different scripts (fonts, for us today) had different semantic or structural application, which was maintained throughout the document -- and in fact, throughout the Empire (at least for a little while!)

                            Alcuin, of course, should be the patron saint of Information Designers :-) (and maybe Font Designers too!)

                            Information Design and Typography are for communication with the mind. : Linear, sequential, with words, to be read, rational

                            Graphic Design is for communication with the gut. : Planar, simultaneous, with images, to be felt, emotional

                            Both have their important uses, and obviously, are rarely used in isolation. (and, of course, in a post-literate culture, image and icon are often far better drivers of consumption, thus consumer markets tend toward non-rational communication... but THAT is a discussion for some other forum!)

                            To my view, the web, particularly in terms of its unique potentials (not as a simulation of TV) is highly sequential. But the page, nonetheless, is planar and simultaneous. Information Design is the art of leading the mind sequentially through a planar, or even multidimensional, space. Typography is ID in a visual medium.

                            Ergo, I must agree on the basis of the preceding argument with Paul's comment, which, at least in my mind encapsulates the above:

                            At 11:56 AM +0000 5 04 06, Paul Romaine wrote (in part):
                            >With HTML, and with websites, I've come to believe that cleaner is better.

                            Bravo, bravo!

                            Of course, there are artists, er, engineers, who see the web almost entirely as non-verbal! (http://mrl.nyu.edu/~philipd/) (whence http://mrl.nyu.edu/~jhan/ftirtouch/)

                            Ciao!
                            peter

                            [1] http://www.iuav.it/
                            [2] http://www.otticalook.com/mst_otticalook/
                            [3] http://www1.maseratiamerica.com/MaseratiMonthly/MM_200602.aspx
                            [4] http://employees.oneonta.edu/farberas/arth/ARTH212/Carolingian_Culture/Caroline1.html
                            see Carolingian Scripts examples 3/4 of the way down the page (too bad they didn't use a structural page architecture! The whole page is a nice overview of the evolution of this high-point in calligraphic history.

                            PS, all of these arguments are what makes Plone (http://plone.org) so attractive to me as a web content management engine. (Alexander Limi of http://plonesolutions.com, principle UI designer)

                            Plone is entirely semantic in its approach to content: presentation is 100% separated from the content (at least until the end-user starts messing around with it ;-) The 'out of the box' Plone installation is an masterpiece of w3.org (and other standards) compliance with a visual coherence that makes it instantly elegant. Everything about a site's presentation is controlled through CSS -- and the underlaying architecture is such that simply reading the style sheets is a master class in semantic web design. (I won't go into the other substantial technology benefits here!)

                            One effect of content-as-data is the dynamic navigation on such sites, created on the fly as new content and folders are created by the end-user/author. This implies pretty strongly that the nav is text based, not a bunch of gif buttons with a "fancy font". Text links can be given "a:hover" styles which allow the 'rollover' behavior (generally just a change of color) previously associated with swapping image sources.
                            Much cleaner, easier to code AND simple for the search engines to parse meaningfully. (and in fact this is one of the most practical advantages to semantic web design).

                            As mentioned previously, Microsoft Typography's more-or-less ubiquitous* web fonts (Georgia, Verdana (both designs by the great Matthew Carter), Trebuchet (by Vincent Connare)) are great 'first choices'. (here's a recent site with Trebuchet : http://www.katefriedman.com -- my sister Kate's paintings) If you don't have the font installed, it will probably use the default sans -- please let me know if you run into issues! Just launched over the weekend... Not a plone site, this is php/mysql)

                            Regarding tool sets, I have found GoLive CS2's stylesheet development environment very productive (whence GoLive, now that Adobe owns DW? We'll see). Much of my development has little to do with producing pages, since the end-user-author will do that (often right through the web). Rather, I am designing the templates and methods and applications which will be available to the author/editor/publisher in the content creation workflow and thence, once published, to the anonymous viewer on the web.

                            * unfortunately, while MS Typography were giving these fonts away to all comers, MS Corporate decided that this was against MS policy, particularly as it allowed the Linux/Open Source folks to encourage their users to acquire MS IP and use it on various Windows killer OSen. Thus they are no longer available for free download. If one knew somebody with WinXP or a Mac that had IE5, one could probably acquire the web fonts...

                            [Nice. A footnote to a postscript ;-)]

                            Semiotx Inc. http://typeandmeaning.com

                            Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 5 2:22 PM
                              >Gerald,
                              >
                              >"It's bad design, not good design, that makes an impression."
                              >
                              >Yes, but what sort of impression?

                              I think this was meant to make an ironic impression.
                              (When you leave the irony on the shirt for too long?)

                              Or else, of course, the impression of hitting your head on a poorly designed cabinet...

                              Best
                              Peter

                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 5 11:47 PM
                                Hi Jason

                                I don't disagree with anything you have said here. My first experience
                                with the net was, as Lys similarly pointed out in her own posting,
                                when "text-based and command-line driven" was all there was. I was an
                                online information retrieval specialist for a time back in the
                                mid-1970s. The visual imagery of the icon-based "web" was a welcomed
                                relief.

                                But as Peter pointed out it all really is information design. This
                                applies, as you suggest, to fine press books as well. I suspect one
                                could, and should, go back to Beatrice Warde regarding the rationale
                                for all of this. No one cut through the crap and essentially saw it
                                all for what it really is than she. Especially in her later writings
                                on the legibility of text faces.

                                The clueless "innovative" bookmaker printers, the wedding invitation
                                slam-bangers, the clever web designers, etc, all will come and go.
                                There is fickle fashion and then there is what has proven to work and
                                remain valid beyond the style of the times.

                                The direction of web based design, however, hardly seems driven by
                                graphic designers themselves, but rather the need for more valid
                                imagery and speedier and more reliable transmission. This is more a
                                technological issue than it is a design issue. The latter is more
                                after the fact. Even though there seems to be more and more
                                accessibility and ability to participate, in reality, the controls in
                                regard to software are far less user based than they were previously.
                                If one is "designing" for the web, it is at a very superficial level
                                compared to what is offered and restricted by the technology.

                              • Charles D. Jones
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 28, 2006
                                  Hello to all,

                                  I hope your holidays have been merry and refreshing.
                                  We have the website up for the press in test mode and so I thought you
                                  might be interested in taking a look.
                                  http://lananacreekpress.com/test/
                                  (feel free to make comments!)

                                  My work, apart from book art, is at:
                                  http://homepage.mac.com/charlesd.jones/PhotoAlbum2.html
                                  for the past 5 years or so I have been working on a series of large
                                  format woodcuts of Artists, writers and musicians who have inspired me.
                                  Leonard Baskin's death set the whole thing off and so far each work
                                  leads to another. Not pictured Sylvia Plath and Virginia Wolfe, the
                                  latest additions the pantheon.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Charlie Jones

                                  LaNana Creek Press