Re: Madison, Wi Printmaking Conference this weekend

  • sidedoors
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2006
      The conference sounds interesting, but I'm too far away to attend. I would love to hear
      about what you learn about Vandercook registration. Please post when you get back - I bet
      I'm not the only one interested in a few new tricks.

      Thanks,
      Laura
      Sidedoor Press

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, alex brooks <alex@...> wrote:

      > I'll be attending a printmaking conference this weekend at the
      > University of Wisconsin-Madison.
      >
      > Among numerous panels, demos, speakers and exhibitions, John Risseeuw,
      > Arizona State University, will be giving a demo on "basic and
      > innovative" vandercook registration tips and techniques.
      >
      > I'll be in Madison from wednesday to saturday, and would love to visit
      > some small presses while i'm in the area. If anyone is interested, or
      > has any ideas for me, please let me know.
      >
      > thanks,
      > alex brooks
      > press eight seventeen
      > lexington kentucky

    • John Cornelisse
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2006
        At 15:09 4-4-06, you wrote:
        >hi,
        >
        >im sure this has been talked about a million times before i joined
        >up, but if anyone has a second..... i need to buy new rollers for
        >two different size table top kelsey presses. i'm trying to decide
        >between the recovered composition rollers from Tarheel Roller Co.
        >and the black rubber ones from NA Graphics. Does anyone have advice
        >on either....as far as which is better...which is good for certain
        >projects, etc. i would certainly appreciate any guidance as i truly
        >have no idea which i should be looking at. one set from each? pit
        >them against one another? or two sets from the one far superior
        >kind? or some other supplier i haven't heard of? aggghhh. thanks in advance!
        >
        >mike
        >sorry for the x-post if you've already read this once. :)

        Mike,

        Rolls with composition, I do not think the industry in Europe
        use them anymore.

        When you are willing to invest in a very nice airconditioning
        to keep the humidity in your shop controlled, composition rolls
        will alter their dimensions whenever the weather changes

        Than you need to change the adjustments of the rolls, and that
        may be even a few times a day...

        Because this was just common use some 100 years ago.

        You might even invest in some extra rolls for summer, spring,
        autumn and winter. But be aware: the rolls - presently not on the machine -
        need to be controlled constantly, otherwise you can be suprised when
        you just need them on the press.

        Because composition is nice food for mice and rats, sugar, gelatine
        & glycerol.... unattended rolls, I have seen them dripping and rot.

        Modern inks are adjusted to modern machines, and those inks,
        even offset-inks they do quite nice in letterpress. But even the
        old fashioned inks I still use at my machines.

        Sure you should be able to find a lot in the archives of letpress/ppletterpress
        about this subject. Though a lot of this is just based on almost (?)
        "religious" beliefs.

        O, you can find composition in a lot of colors: blue, red, yellow, black.
        That depends from the kind of colors you need to print.

        But "rubber" is always black ??? most rubber is synthetic, (American made
        by Dow Chemicals and other compagnies ) and has never seen a rubbertree at
        all, these rolls can be made in all colors of the rainbow.

        Best wishes

        John

        Letter-press & Typefounding, Monotype-composition

        Vaartstraat 23
        4553 AN Philippine
        (Zeeuws Vlaanderen)
        The Netherlands

        + 31 - (0) 115 - 491184
        email: enkidu@...

        So she spoke to him and her word found favour,
        he knew by instinct, he should seek a friend.

      • nagraph@frontier.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8, 2006
          The rollers we have been selling for a while for the Kelseys are made
          from the same material as our regular rollers for C&Ps, Heidelbergs,
          etc. It is a professional grade material, precision finished, and when
          compared to urethanes and materials previously used by us and Kelsey,
          it far out performs those material. The cost is greater, but the
          rollers will last for years and give excellent service. We tried to
          find inexpensive materials for these, but in the end, the results were
          not to my expectations for even amateur work, so I went to the higher
          grade material. There are enough considerations with a Kelsey that
          require attention to achieve satisfactory results that rollers should
          not contribute to any problems.

          Fritz klinke
          NA Graphics

        • David Michael McNamara
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 8, 2006
            Mike,

            I realize my response doesn't consider the full scope of your question, but I purchased rubber rollers for my Kelsey from Fritz and have been very pleased with them. I cleanup after each job, but beyond that I'm hardly a model of proper storage and maintenance, and they look and perform as well as when I first got them.
            __

            David
> [...]

            > "religious" beliefs.
            >
            > O, you can find composition in a lot of colors: blue, red, yellow, black.
            > That depends from the kind of colors you need to print.
            >
            > But "rubber" is always black ??? most rubber is synthetic, (American made
            > by Dow Chemicals and other compagnies ) and has never seen a rubbertree at
            > all, these rolls can be made in all colors of the rainbow.
            >
            > Best wishes
            >
            > John
            >
            > Letter-press & Typefounding, Monotype-composition
            >
            > Vaartstraat 23
            > 4553 AN Philippine
            > (Zeeuws Vlaanderen)
            > The Netherlands
            >
            > + 31 - (0) 115 - 491184
            > email: enkidu@...
            >
            > So she spoke to him and her word found favour,
            > he knew by instinct, he should seek a friend.

          • Blue Barnhouse
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 8, 2006
              > > Than you need to change the adjustments of the rolls, and that
              > > may be even a few times a day...

              If you're in North Carolina, it's about every 10 minutes.

              Brandon Mise

              Blue Barnhouse
              428-B Haywood Rd.
              Asheville, NC 28806