Re: [PPLetterpress] Letterpress Printers of the WorldWebsiteUpdates....

  • Lance Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2006
      John,

      I'd love to use a more unique or impressive type face on the website, but
      unfortunately, unless I want to have all the pages saved as images rather
      than text, HTML limits the usage of type faces to a few commonly used
      faces, or at least for most users. If you use something non-standard, and
      try to keep it as a text-based page, then either you have to supply the
      font as downloadable with the page, or if the font is not on the receiver's
      machine, then it will be overwritten with the receiver's default font....
      And, since I would like to maintain the searchability of the site by web
      crawlers to be included in search engines, I have little or no choice to
      just use a few of the more common type faces for the site.... (at least as
      I understand the workings of HTML & the web....)

      - Lance

      WorldWebsiteUpdates....

      > At 20:22 2-4-06, you wrote:
      > >John,
      > >
      > > I have thought this as well, and keep thinking I will change it,
      but I
      > >always forget when I am working on the site... Thanks for the input....
      > >
      > >- Lance
      >
      > Lance,
      >
      > There might be nicer fonts available in letterpress,
      > than this rather dull sans serif you use.
      >
      > Best wishes
      >
      > John
      >

      > Letter-press & Typefounding, Monotype-composition
      >
      > Vaartstraat 23
      > 4553 AN Philippine
      > (Zeeuws Vlaanderen)
      > The Netherlands
      >
      > + 31 - (0) 115 - 491184
      > email: enkidu@...
      >
      > So she spoke to him and her word found favour,
      > he knew by instinct, he should seek a friend.

    • Kevin
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2006
        Welcome to web design! For those that have never designed a web site,
        imagine laying out a page where you have no way of knowing the end
        users settings. Book design is easy, you get to dictate every aspect
        of the page's layout, not so in web design. You have no way of
        knowing if their monitor 13" or 30" or if they set their default text
        size larger to make it easier to read (and ends up shoving your
        images all over the screen). What resolution is their monitor set at?
        Is their browser current enough to run your Java script or are they
        still fighting IE on a Mac?

        You just have to design for the happy medium and that's basically a
        PC user on a 15" CRT and a browser that is most likely a version or
        two outdated, and use the fonts that are common to Mac and PC (Ariel,
        Helvetica, Times, etc.). Otherwise you use the image of type like
        Lance said. Sounds like fun huh?
        Kevin.
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2006
          At 5:44 PM -0700 2 04 06, Kevin wrote:

          >You just have to design for the happy medium and that's basically a
          >PC user on a 15" CRT and a browser that is most likely a version or
          >two outdated, and use the fonts that are common to Mac and PC (Ariel,
          >Helvetica, Times, etc.). Otherwise you use the image of type like
          >Lance said. Sounds like fun huh?
          >Kevin.

          Fortunately, most of us Mac users also have access to the Windows web fonts, which are far more tolerable than the awful Ariel, Times, Helvetica triple-threat.

          Verdana (sans), and Georgia (serif), designed for Bill G by Matthew Carter are highly legible, masterfully hinted and quite elegant. Trebucht By Vincent Connare is a nice alternate sans.

          Possibly, Microsoft Typography is the (best/only) thing really worth having from Redmond ;-)

          http://www.microsoft.com/typography

          Semiotx Inc. http://typeandmeaning.com

          Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com