Re: [PPLetterpress] "Re: The King is Dead, ..."

  • John Cornelisse
    Message 1 of 51 , Apr 1 12:42 AM
      At 09:18 1-4-06, you wrote:
      >Hi John
      >
      >Well this I can certainly agree with.
      >
      >I have seen two B42s. One on paper, the other on parchment. As well as
      >the Mainz Psalter. Breathtaking.
      >
      >Typographically speaking, as far as I can tell, it was all Peter
      >Shoeffer's.
      >
      >Gerald

      Gerald,

      There's one gutenberg-bible to be seen at the Plantin Museum in Antwerp,
      the other I have seen is in Bodmer's library in Geneva Switzerland.

      That institute is situated outside the town, at the slope of the lake.
      Marvelous library. Bodmer was the first director of the Red Cross.

      I have seen there a big foliant printed by the great Bodoni himself.
      Even touching the paper, and keep it im my hand. They have so much there.

      No comments on the technical part of my mail...

      Those days, people just had a lot of time to make something, nowadays
      all has to be done in a hurry. No wonder they made something nice and
      breathtaking.

      Best wishes

      John Cornelisse

      Letter-press & Typefounding, Monotype-composition

      Vaartstraat 23
      4553 AN Philippine
      (Zeeuws Vlaanderen)
      The Netherlands

      + 31 - (0) 115 - 491184
      email: enkidu@...

      So she spoke to him and her word found favour,
      he knew by instinct, he should seek a friend.

      Message 51 of 51 , Apr 1 3:58 PM
        Per

        I cut off the last of my post to you by mistake. I think the date of
        Schöffer's entry into the project is fairly accurate primarily because
        somewhere was a reference to his being in Mainz prior to the fall of
        Constantinople (1493), which was of considerable concern to the
        European community.