announcing the second annual Summer Institute at the Wells Book Arts Center

  • Wells Book Arts Center
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2006
      You are invited to explore the crossroads of spontaneity and traditional
      book art methods by participating in the second annual Summer Institute at
      the Wells Book Arts Center. Our classes in lettering arts, bookbinding, and
      letterpress printing are taught by the best artists, teachers, and
      craftspeople. Come for a week of intensive creating and learning in our
      beautiful lakeshore setting in the heart of New York's Finger Lakes.

      In Session I, July 9-15, Peter Bain's course in typeface design will take
      participants from concept, to paper & pen, to pixel. The students of Shanna
      Leino will build a leather-bound book using late Coptic design and
      techniques, and Katherine McCanless Ruffin's students will learn to use
      hand-set type for letterpress printing. In Session II, July 16-22, Cheryl
      Jacobsen's class will focus on calligraphy as it relates to and enhances
      personal artistic expression. Students in the class of Wells' own Margot
      Ecke will make leatherbound girdle books, the kind that in times medieval
      hung from the owner's belt or girdle. Robin Price's class will create
      printed sheets through chance operations inspired by the processes that the
      Surrealists made famous.

      Students choose one class of the three offered, and may take a class in each
      session. Classes are limited to 8-12 participants. In addition to daily
      classes, there will be slide presentations of instructors' work, 24-hour
      access to the studios, and an optional field trip to the Press &
      Letterfoundry of Michael & Winifred Bixler in Skaneateles.

      For more details and registration forms, please visit our website,
      www.wells.edu/bookarts, and click on the Summer Institute link.

      PLEASE EXCUSE IF YOU'VE RECEIVED THIS POSTING ELSEWHERE.

      --

      Nancy Gil
      Director of Wells Book Arts Summer Institute

      Terrence P. Chouinard
      Director of the Wells Book Arts Center

      Wells College
      170 Main Street