Re: [PPLetterpress] what are these?

  • edgar L weber
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 14, 2006
      Hello Mike,
      Those dots are part of 2 different 2-color borders. (Or ornaments).
      DON'T throw them away!
      Hopefully somewhere in the "ton of stuff" will be the other halves.
      The ones in the middle go with holly leaves. I'm not sure about those on
      the side, but they might go with smaller holly leaves. Keep looking for
      pieces of type, of the same size, that will match the pattern of dots.
      Good luck,
      Ed Weber,
      Tombstone Beaver Press
    • Scott Rubel
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 14, 2006
        Could they be for braille? --Scott

        On Mar 14, 2006, at 8:20 AM, edgar L weber wrote:

        > Hello Mike,
        > Those dots are part of 2 different 2-color borders. (Or ornaments).
        > DON'T throw them away!
        > Hopefully somewhere in the "ton of stuff" will be the other halves.
        > The ones in the middle go with holly leaves. I'm not sure about
        > those on
        > the side, but they might go with smaller holly leaves. Keep
        > looking for
        > pieces of type, of the same size, that will match the pattern of dots.
        > Good luck,
        > Ed Weber,
        > Tombstone Beaver Press
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Marnie Powers-Torrey
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 16, 2006
          I've been out for a few days, so sorry for the delayed response, but I
          agree 100% with the holly berry votes. We have a TON of these same
          sorts-- most with matching holly leaves to print in green-- but also
          some random berries floating about.

          Marnie Powers-Torrey
          Studio Manager, Instructor, Printer
          Book Arts Program and Red Butte Press
          J. Willard Marriott Library
          295 South 1500 East
          Salt Lake City, UT 84112

            this may be a dumb question...but im merely a letterpress beginner.
            i've been sorting through a ton of type and ornaments and i've found a
            lot of these pieces and have no idea what they are. they're assorted
            clusters of dots almost like braille. anyway, i figured you kind folks
            would know right away, so here's a picture of them:

            http://www.creativechaos.net/mystery.jpg

            what are these and what are they for? thanks for the help!
            mike

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Book cover design Design book Graphic design book Contemporary book Book printing