what are these?

  • savmikey2003
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 13 8:15 PM
      hello,

      this may be a dumb question...but im merely a letterpress beginner.
      i've been sorting through a ton of type and ornaments and i've found a
      lot of these pieces and have no idea what they are. they're assorted
      clusters of dots almost like braille. anyway, i figured you kind folks
      would know right away, so here's a picture of them:

      http://www.creativechaos.net/mystery.jpg

      what are these and what are they for? thanks for the help!
      mike
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 13 8:31 PM
        Mike

        The set that is in the middle look like two-color holly berrys used with
        holly leave ornaments for Christmas greeting cards. The set on the
        right, don't know.

        Gerald

        savmikey2003 wrote:

        >hello,
        >
        >this may be a dumb question...but im merely a letterpress beginner.
        >i've been sorting through a ton of type and ornaments and i've found a
        >lot of these pieces and have no idea what they are. they're assorted
        >clusters of dots almost like braille. anyway, i figured you kind folks
        >would know right away, so here's a picture of them:
        >
        >http://www.creativechaos.net/mystery.jpg
        >
        >what are these and what are they for? thanks for the help!
        >mike

      • Michael T. Metz
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 13 8:38 PM
          I don't know Gerald, those look like a bad case
          of lead warts to me.

          savmikey2003 wrote:

          >hello,
          >
          >this may be a dumb question...but im merely a letterpress beginner.
          >i've been sorting through a ton of type and ornaments and i've found a
          >lot of these pieces and have no idea what they are. they're assorted
          >clusters of dots almost like braille. anyway, i figured you kind folks
          >would know right away, so here's a picture of them:
          >
          >http://www.creativechaos.net/mystery.jpg
          >
          >what are these and what are they for? thanks for the help!
          >mike

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 13 8:51 PM
            Hi Mike

            Never heard of lead warts. Could very well be. Had a bunch of em once
            upon a time though and the ones I had were Holly berries. At any rate,
            if you ever need a bunch of dots for something, you know who to contact.

            Gerld

            Michael T. Metz wrote:

            >I don't know Gerald, those look like a bad case
            >of lead warts to me.
            >
            >Mike
            >
            >The set that is in the middle look like two-color holly berrys used with
            >holly leave ornaments for Christmas greeting cards. The set on the
            >right, don't know.
            >
            >Gerald
            >
            >savmikey2003 wrote:
            >

            >>hello,
            >>
            >>this may be a dumb question...but im merely a letterpress beginner.
            >>i've been sorting through a ton of type and ornaments and i've found a
            >>lot of these pieces and have no idea what they are. they're assorted
            >>clusters of dots almost like braille. anyway, i figured you kind folks
            >>would know right away, so here's a picture of them:
            >>
            >>http://www.creativechaos.net/mystery.jpg
            >>
            >>what are these and what are they for? thanks for the help!
            >>mike

          • edgar L weber
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 14 8:20 AM
              Hello Mike,
              Those dots are part of 2 different 2-color borders. (Or ornaments).
              DON'T throw them away!
              Hopefully somewhere in the "ton of stuff" will be the other halves.
              The ones in the middle go with holly leaves. I'm not sure about those on
              the side, but they might go with smaller holly leaves. Keep looking for
              pieces of type, of the same size, that will match the pattern of dots.
              Good luck,
              Ed Weber,
              Tombstone Beaver Press
            • Scott Rubel
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 14 4:48 PM
                Could they be for braille? --Scott

                On Mar 14, 2006, at 8:20 AM, edgar L weber wrote:

                > Hello Mike,
                > Those dots are part of 2 different 2-color borders. (Or ornaments).
                > DON'T throw them away!
                > Hopefully somewhere in the "ton of stuff" will be the other halves.
                > The ones in the middle go with holly leaves. I'm not sure about
                > those on
                > the side, but they might go with smaller holly leaves. Keep
                > looking for
                > pieces of type, of the same size, that will match the pattern of dots.
                > Good luck,
                > Ed Weber,
                > Tombstone Beaver Press
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Marnie Powers-Torrey
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 16 1:01 PM
                  I've been out for a few days, so sorry for the delayed response, but I
                  agree 100% with the holly berry votes. We have a TON of these same
                  sorts-- most with matching holly leaves to print in green-- but also
                  some random berries floating about.

                  Marnie Powers-Torrey
                  Studio Manager, Instructor, Printer
                  Book Arts Program and Red Butte Press
                  J. Willard Marriott Library
                  295 South 1500 East
                  Salt Lake City, UT 84112

                    this may be a dumb question...but im merely a letterpress beginner.
                    i've been sorting through a ton of type and ornaments and i've found a
                    lot of these pieces and have no idea what they are. they're assorted
                    clusters of dots almost like braille. anyway, i figured you kind folks
                    would know right away, so here's a picture of them:

                    http://www.creativechaos.net/mystery.jpg

                    what are these and what are they for? thanks for the help!
                    mike

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Book cover design Design book Graphic design book Contemporary book Book printing