ink question - opaque white

  • Michael Babcock | interrobang letterpress
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2006
      my hosts router has been down, and so, my site. it's up now.

      fact is, van son opaque white is just OK. i'd give my eye-teeth for
      some better coverage. what i've found is that the base paper color
      tends to modify the cast of the white, so that a black stock blues
      out the brightness, a brown stock, tans it, etc.

      --
      best, mjb | interrobangletterpress.com
    • Bryan Hutcheson
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10, 2006
        If anyone knows of an opaque white that can actually cover, besides
        engravers ink, I'd be psyched

        We've tried just about every opaque white on the market. The only
        luck we have had was an experiment with laying down metallic 877,
        then white over the top of that a day later. mixed results but
        doable. The silver acts as a true opaque, then the white can be run
        heavier. We give the silver more impression, then the white only
        needs a kiss and you can run the white ink heavier.

        Most white ink on color paper is usually engraving ink, which is
        somewhere between silk screening ink and offset ink....