Re: [PPLetterpress] How to print a Tint Block?

  • Alan Brignull
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 10, 2006
      > Printing with no grain using linoleum ?
      > you just need a lot of ink and a load of pressure too.

      It helps to rub the lino down with fine sandpaper as well.

      Alan
    • John Cornelisse
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 10, 2006
        At 05:49 10-3-06, you wrote:
        >Hello! This being my first post, I was wondering if anyone could give
        >some advice on printing a tint? im printing some tickets, and on the
        >backside of the tickets I want it in a solid green. I'll be using a
        >Vandercook SP-15 with probably rubber based ink. I tried using
        >linoleum block to do it, but I ended up with splotchy results. I added
        >quite a bit of packing as well. Any idea what im doing wrong? Or what
        >I should be doing? Thanks!
        >Ryan

        On a large area to be printed, the pressure = force/aera
        is lower than when you print just type, because the type
        represents less area...

        So here you might need some adjustment to the makeready on the
        cylinder, or just add some paper under the block.

        I have seen very large area's printed on proofpresses
        up to 45 cm by 60 cm, than the force needed to print a solid
        is quite high even to get the cylinder over the block.

        The inking had to be done manually.

        Vinyl can be used for printing too, and can be obtained in
        some very smooth qualities. It is a little bit softer than
        linoleum, but takes the ink very good and prints nice.

        Best wishes

        John Cornelisse

        Letter-press & Typefounding, Monotype-composition

        Vaartstraat 23
        4553 AN Philippine
        (Zeeuws Vlaanderen)
        The Netherlands

        + 31 - (0) 115 - 491184
        email: enkidu@...

        So she spoke to him and her word found favour,
        he knew by instinct, he should seek a friend.

      • Casey
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 10, 2006
          Ryan,

          I print from Linoleum, I do a lot of linocuts and also print with them
          and use type.

          One thing about covering large areas of surface with ink is it should
          be hand rolled on so you get the best ink coverage. If you load up the
          ink distribution with that much ink it'll plug up all your type.
          Printing ink on linoleum from the ink carriage the print is somewhat
          distressed or in other words it has been starved of ink.

          You can use transparent white to thin down your ink to get a lint, it
          works well, start with Transparent white and then add your color ink.

          Tickets are pretty small and you should get good coverage, but the is
          a fine line of adding to much and the type is plugged up.

          Be careful about the packing, to much underneath the linoleum block
          and it exceeded type high. Too much on the drum and you smash the type
          and linoleum block.

          Hope this helps,

          Thanks for stopping by,

          Casey McGarr
          http://www.inkylipspress.com
        • unisonletterpress
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 10, 2006
            Wow Thanks for everyones reply! That was a great help! im going to
            give it a shot this week and see what happens. Thanks again!