Re: How to print a Tint Block?

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 10, 2006
      Ryan

      My guess, simply based on teaching experience, is that often mounted
      linoleum is not type high (most students don't realize this—don't know
      if you do or not). If this is not accounted for it won't really help
      much to overpack the cylinder to compensate. Cylinder presses are
      mechanically synced to print well at type high (.918), not higher nor
      lower. Usually printing a tint with linoleum is quite a simple matter.

      Gerald

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "unisonletterpress"
      <mahdesign@...> wrote:

      > Hello! This being my first post, I was wondering if anyone could give
      > some advice on printing a tint? im printing some tickets, and on the
      > backside of the tickets I want it in a solid green. I'll be using a
      > Vandercook SP-15 with probably rubber based ink. I tried using
      > linoleum block to do it, but I ended up with splotchy results. I added
      > quite a bit of packing as well. Any idea what im doing wrong? Or what
      > I should be doing? Thanks!
      > Ryan

    • Alan Brignull
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 10, 2006
        > Printing with no grain using linoleum ?
        > you just need a lot of ink and a load of pressure too.

        It helps to rub the lino down with fine sandpaper as well.

        Alan
      • John Cornelisse
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 10, 2006
          At 05:49 10-3-06, you wrote:
          >Hello! This being my first post, I was wondering if anyone could give
          >some advice on printing a tint? im printing some tickets, and on the
          >backside of the tickets I want it in a solid green. I'll be using a
          >Vandercook SP-15 with probably rubber based ink. I tried using
          >linoleum block to do it, but I ended up with splotchy results. I added
          >quite a bit of packing as well. Any idea what im doing wrong? Or what
          >I should be doing? Thanks!
          >Ryan

          On a large area to be printed, the pressure = force/aera
          is lower than when you print just type, because the type
          represents less area...

          So here you might need some adjustment to the makeready on the
          cylinder, or just add some paper under the block.

          I have seen very large area's printed on proofpresses
          up to 45 cm by 60 cm, than the force needed to print a solid
          is quite high even to get the cylinder over the block.

          The inking had to be done manually.

          Vinyl can be used for printing too, and can be obtained in
          some very smooth qualities. It is a little bit softer than
          linoleum, but takes the ink very good and prints nice.

          Best wishes

          John Cornelisse

          Letter-press & Typefounding, Monotype-composition

          Vaartstraat 23
          4553 AN Philippine
          (Zeeuws Vlaanderen)
          The Netherlands

          + 31 - (0) 115 - 491184
          email: enkidu@...

          So she spoke to him and her word found favour,
          he knew by instinct, he should seek a friend.

        • Casey
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 10, 2006
            Ryan,

            I print from Linoleum, I do a lot of linocuts and also print with them
            and use type.

            One thing about covering large areas of surface with ink is it should
            be hand rolled on so you get the best ink coverage. If you load up the
            ink distribution with that much ink it'll plug up all your type.
            Printing ink on linoleum from the ink carriage the print is somewhat
            distressed or in other words it has been starved of ink.

            You can use transparent white to thin down your ink to get a lint, it
            works well, start with Transparent white and then add your color ink.

            Tickets are pretty small and you should get good coverage, but the is
            a fine line of adding to much and the type is plugged up.

            Be careful about the packing, to much underneath the linoleum block
            and it exceeded type high. Too much on the drum and you smash the type
            and linoleum block.

            Hope this helps,

            Thanks for stopping by,

            Casey McGarr
            http://www.inkylipspress.com
          • unisonletterpress
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 10, 2006
              Wow Thanks for everyones reply! That was a great help! im going to
              give it a shot this week and see what happens. Thanks again!