Re: [PPLetterpress] How to print a Tint Block?

  • John Cornelisse
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9 11:37 PM
      At 05:49 10-3-06, you wrote:
      >Hello! This being my first post, I was wondering if anyone could give
      >some advice on printing a tint? im printing some tickets, and on the
      >backside of the tickets I want it in a solid green. I'll be using a
      >Vandercook SP-15 with probably rubber based ink. I tried using
      >linoleum block to do it, but I ended up with splotchy results. I added
      >quite a bit of packing as well. Any idea what im doing wrong? Or what
      >I should be doing? Thanks!
      >Ryan

      Ryan,

      you can use a solid piece of photo-polymere plate,
      just cut it more than the size you need,
      no negative needed, just put enough light on it
      to harden it completely, you do not need to wash it,
      just mount it on a base.

      If your paper is large enough, just print so that the
      edges are free, than the cylinder will stay clean. and
      cut the paper later.

      Photopolymere material is flat, and will print without any grain.

      Printing with no grain using linoleum ?
      you just need a lot of ink and a load of pressure too.

      Best wishes

      John Cornelisse

      Letter-press & Typefounding, Monotype-composition

      Vaartstraat 23
      4553 AN Philippine
      (Zeeuws Vlaanderen)
      The Netherlands

      + 31 - (0) 115 - 491184
      email: enkidu@...

      So she spoke to him and her word found favour,
      he knew by instinct, he should seek a friend.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 10 12:21 AM
        Ryan

        My guess, simply based on teaching experience, is that often mounted
        linoleum is not type high (most students don't realize this—don't know
        if you do or not). If this is not accounted for it won't really help
        much to overpack the cylinder to compensate. Cylinder presses are
        mechanically synced to print well at type high (.918), not higher nor
        lower. Usually printing a tint with linoleum is quite a simple matter.

        Gerald

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "unisonletterpress"
        <mahdesign@...> wrote:

        > Hello! This being my first post, I was wondering if anyone could give
        > some advice on printing a tint? im printing some tickets, and on the
        > backside of the tickets I want it in a solid green. I'll be using a
        > Vandercook SP-15 with probably rubber based ink. I tried using
        > linoleum block to do it, but I ended up with splotchy results. I added
        > quite a bit of packing as well. Any idea what im doing wrong? Or what
        > I should be doing? Thanks!
        > Ryan

      • Graham and Kathy
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 10 12:34 AM
          "Splotchy" sounds to me like too much ink!

          Do you have a micrometer? You should measure your lino block to be evenly
          .925 high, and that will provide enough pressure if your press is set to
          print type at .918.

          Timber that is planed to nominally one inch will work, but you will need to
          adjust your packing - and you might get interesting decoration from the
          wood grain!

          Graham Moss
          Incline Press
          36 Bow Street
          Oldham OL1 1SJ England
          http://www.inclinepress.com

          > At 05:49 10-3-06, you wrote:
          >> Hello! This being my first post, I was wondering if anyone could give
          >> some advice on printing a tint? im printing some tickets, and on the
          >> backside of the tickets I want it in a solid green. I'll be using a
          >> Vandercook SP-15 with probably rubber based ink. I tried using
          >> linoleum block to do it, but I ended up with splotchy results. I added
          >> quite a bit of packing as well. Any idea what im doing wrong? Or what
          >> I should be doing? Thanks!
          >> Ryan
        • Alan Brignull
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 10 12:40 AM
            > Printing with no grain using linoleum ?
            > you just need a lot of ink and a load of pressure too.

            It helps to rub the lino down with fine sandpaper as well.

            Alan
          • John Cornelisse
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 10 2:23 AM
              At 05:49 10-3-06, you wrote:
              >Hello! This being my first post, I was wondering if anyone could give
              >some advice on printing a tint? im printing some tickets, and on the
              >backside of the tickets I want it in a solid green. I'll be using a
              >Vandercook SP-15 with probably rubber based ink. I tried using
              >linoleum block to do it, but I ended up with splotchy results. I added
              >quite a bit of packing as well. Any idea what im doing wrong? Or what
              >I should be doing? Thanks!
              >Ryan

              On a large area to be printed, the pressure = force/aera
              is lower than when you print just type, because the type
              represents less area...

              So here you might need some adjustment to the makeready on the
              cylinder, or just add some paper under the block.

              I have seen very large area's printed on proofpresses
              up to 45 cm by 60 cm, than the force needed to print a solid
              is quite high even to get the cylinder over the block.

              The inking had to be done manually.

              Vinyl can be used for printing too, and can be obtained in
              some very smooth qualities. It is a little bit softer than
              linoleum, but takes the ink very good and prints nice.

              Best wishes

              John Cornelisse

              Letter-press & Typefounding, Monotype-composition

              Vaartstraat 23
              4553 AN Philippine
              (Zeeuws Vlaanderen)
              The Netherlands

              + 31 - (0) 115 - 491184
              email: enkidu@...

              So she spoke to him and her word found favour,
              he knew by instinct, he should seek a friend.

            • Casey
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 10 6:10 AM
                Ryan,

                I print from Linoleum, I do a lot of linocuts and also print with them
                and use type.

                One thing about covering large areas of surface with ink is it should
                be hand rolled on so you get the best ink coverage. If you load up the
                ink distribution with that much ink it'll plug up all your type.
                Printing ink on linoleum from the ink carriage the print is somewhat
                distressed or in other words it has been starved of ink.

                You can use transparent white to thin down your ink to get a lint, it
                works well, start with Transparent white and then add your color ink.

                Tickets are pretty small and you should get good coverage, but the is
                a fine line of adding to much and the type is plugged up.

                Be careful about the packing, to much underneath the linoleum block
                and it exceeded type high. Too much on the drum and you smash the type
                and linoleum block.

                Hope this helps,

                Thanks for stopping by,

                Casey McGarr
                http://www.inkylipspress.com
              • unisonletterpress
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 10 7:01 PM
                  Wow Thanks for everyones reply! That was a great help! im going to
                  give it a shot this week and see what happens. Thanks again!