Re: Windmill assistance needed

  • michaelmagnesi
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2006
      Hello Joel,

      Thank you for the input. I did the bump it along and found that one
      arm is either bent or something else is wrong. I also discovered that
      when I take the press off impression the ink fountain continues to ink
      up the rollers.

      I spent most of today cleaning up what I thought was going to be my
      secondary press. It spent quite a bit of it's last few years in a high
      school shop. I guess they had more wood working than printing as there
      is a ton of sawdust caked everywhere!

      Once I got it cleaned up I set the guides and in a few minutes had
      everything in register and feeding along nicely.

      Our #1 press is showing some issues so I think that we will demote it
      for awhile until we can get inside of it and see where the trouble is
      coming from.

      Thank you again!

      Michael Magnesi
      Design Answers
      Atlanta
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Joel at D.L."
      <dep.letterpress@...> wrote:

      > Michael,
      > A lot of feeding issues with the windmill can be diagnosed by
      stopping the press mid-cycle and just looking for obstructions or
      things out of alignment.

      > The first thing I'd do is operate the guides manually to see that
      they work properly- ie. that the front (gripper) guide pops up in sync
      with the side guides. Pull the little knob out of the hole, down on
      the bottom left side of the platen, and move the guides up and down
      against the platen. If that looks like it is working right, then I'd
      move the press until the platen is about three-quarters closed. Move
      it to the point where the grippers have just opened to release the
      sheet against the guides. Then drop a sheet of what you are feeding
      in there, manually move the guides up into position, and see if the
      sheet has room to float a bit. The sheet is pushed by the side guides
      into the gripper guide, so it needs some wiggle room. Look to see if
      it is getting pinched between the platen and the gripper, specifically.

      > Lots of times if you just inch the press along through the cycle and
      look carefully at what the sheet is doing you can figure out what is
      wrong. You often see every-other-sheet issues where one arm is doing
      something slightly different than the other. One arm may be sweeping
      too close or too far away from the platen and causing that variation
      in registration. Eyeball it, or measure it by sliding leads between
      arm and platen, and if one is markedly different from the other,
      adjust by leaning on and bending the arm in the direction it needs to
      go. I think it is supposed to be 2 points off the tympan if I
      remember right. Maybe it says in the operators manual.