Re: workshops

  • v918man
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2006
      Talyor:

      There are numerous excellent letterpress resources online that will help in your education
      (you're using one now).

      Your next stop should be David Rose's INTRODUCTION TO LETTERPRESS PRINTING
      IN THE 21ST CENTURY
      <http://fiveroses.org/intro.htm>
      Among its many features is a good bibliography of printing instruction manuals. Like quite
      a few folks on this list I first learned to print via a book---in my case "General Printing"---
      before I had the benefit of instruction.

      Having said that, here are two more workshop locations to consider:
      Minnesota Center for Book Arts
      <http://www.mnbookarts.org>
      Columbia College's Chicago Center for Book and Paper Arts
      <http://www.bookandpaper.org>
      Both are beautiful and well-equipped facilities

      And to learn more about your Vandercook visit <http://vandercookpress.info>.

      Happy printing,

      Paul

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "taybarrett" <taylor@...> wrote:

      > HI all,
      >
      > I am Taylor. I live in Missoula, Montana and I am about to attempt to teach myself the
      art
      > of letterpress. I recently aquired a Vandercook #4, I have not yet tried to use it as I
      > discovered I was missing some parts which are now enroute. Besides the parts the
      > machine is oiled and clean and ready to go. I plan on using photopolymer plates
      because
      > my real talent is in illustration. I fell in love with letterpress after designing my own
      > wedding invitations, I love the way my artwork looks pressed into paper.
      >
      > I must admit that I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I know I need to attend a workshop
      but I
      > just can't figure out where. I am tentatively planning a trip to Austin TX to see South by
      > Southwest and was wondering if anyone here knows of a press willing to teach (for a fee
      of
      > course) or of a good workshop in the area.
      >
      > I am also making a trip to San Francisco on the 17th of February. I have looked at
      classes
      > at the Center for the Book but the classes are full or on the wrong days. Any one in San
      > Fran willing to teach around that date?
      >
      > Other areas that would be easy for me to get to are Portland and Seattle.
      >
      > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to learning a lot
      from
      > this chat.
      >
      > Toodles.

    • Charles Jones
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2006
        Hello Taylor,
        We teach letterpress as part of Printmaking. I will have a
        Letterpress/binding Intensive course this summer. It lasts for 5 weeks
        and may be taken for no credit or credit as desired. Austin has
        Slugfest and Flatbed Press that have workshops.
        cheers, charlie Jones

        LaNana Creek Press
        13001 SFA Station
        Nacogdoches, TX 75962
      • Taylor Barrett
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2006
          Yes, I have just been emailing with a Meridith Miller from flatbed
          press who says they can provide private lessons! I may have found my
          match. Thanks Charles