Re: [PPLetterpress] workshops

  • Taylor Barrett
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2006
      Thanks Tom,

      I will keep that in mind. We will be flying this time but I do stop
      through Denver at least once a year as my brother is ski patrol out
      at Beaver Creek. Thanks for responding,

      Taylor

      On Feb 6, 2006, at 12:01 PM, typetom@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 2/6/2006, taylor@... writes:
      >
      > I am Taylor. I live in Missoula, Montana and I am about to attempt
      > to teach
      > myself the art of letterpress. I recently aquired a Vandercook
      > #4...I am
      > tentatively planning a trip to Austin TX to see South by Southwest
      > and was
      > wondering if anyone here knows of a press willing to teach ...
      >

      > Hi Taylor,
      > If you are driving down to Austin, I'd be happy to see you in
      > transit for as
      > long as you might stop over here in Denver. While my press itself
      > does
      > little teaching, I am happy to talk your ears off as long as you
      > are learning
      > something useful, no fee. (I use photopolymer plates made by home-
      > made exposure
      > and hand-washout, as well as hand-set type, printing with both a
      > 10x15 C&P
      > platen and a Vandercook SP15).
      > Best wishes on your travels,
      > Tom
      >
      > Tom Parson
      > Now It's Up To You Publications
      > 157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
      > (303) 777-8951
      > http://members.aol.com/typetom

      > Book printing Printing book Book cover design
      > Design book Graphic design book
      >
      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      > Visit your group "PPLetterpress" on the web.

    • v918man
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2006
        Talyor:

        There are numerous excellent letterpress resources online that will help in your education
        (you're using one now).

        Your next stop should be David Rose's INTRODUCTION TO LETTERPRESS PRINTING
        IN THE 21ST CENTURY
        <http://fiveroses.org/intro.htm>
        Among its many features is a good bibliography of printing instruction manuals. Like quite
        a few folks on this list I first learned to print via a book---in my case "General Printing"---
        before I had the benefit of instruction.

        Having said that, here are two more workshop locations to consider:
        Minnesota Center for Book Arts
        <http://www.mnbookarts.org>
        Columbia College's Chicago Center for Book and Paper Arts
        <http://www.bookandpaper.org>
        Both are beautiful and well-equipped facilities

        And to learn more about your Vandercook visit <http://vandercookpress.info>.

        Happy printing,

        Paul

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "taybarrett" <taylor@...> wrote:

        > HI all,
        >
        > I am Taylor. I live in Missoula, Montana and I am about to attempt to teach myself the
        art
        > of letterpress. I recently aquired a Vandercook #4, I have not yet tried to use it as I
        > discovered I was missing some parts which are now enroute. Besides the parts the
        > machine is oiled and clean and ready to go. I plan on using photopolymer plates
        because
        > my real talent is in illustration. I fell in love with letterpress after designing my own
        > wedding invitations, I love the way my artwork looks pressed into paper.
        >
        > I must admit that I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I know I need to attend a workshop
        but I
        > just can't figure out where. I am tentatively planning a trip to Austin TX to see South by
        > Southwest and was wondering if anyone here knows of a press willing to teach (for a fee
        of
        > course) or of a good workshop in the area.
        >
        > I am also making a trip to San Francisco on the 17th of February. I have looked at
        classes
        > at the Center for the Book but the classes are full or on the wrong days. Any one in San
        > Fran willing to teach around that date?
        >
        > Other areas that would be easy for me to get to are Portland and Seattle.
        >
        > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to learning a lot
        from
        > this chat.
        >
        > Toodles.

      • Charles Jones
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2006
          Hello Taylor,
          We teach letterpress as part of Printmaking. I will have a
          Letterpress/binding Intensive course this summer. It lasts for 5 weeks
          and may be taken for no credit or credit as desired. Austin has
          Slugfest and Flatbed Press that have workshops.
          cheers, charlie Jones

          LaNana Creek Press
          13001 SFA Station
          Nacogdoches, TX 75962
        • Taylor Barrett
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2006
            Yes, I have just been emailing with a Meridith Miller from flatbed
            press who says they can provide private lessons! I may have found my
            match. Thanks Charles