Free tour of M & H Type and Arion Press in San Francisco - Feb.11th

  • Steve Robison
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2006
      To: All PPLetterpress folks who still dabble in type
      once in a while, and who will be in and around San
      Francisco on Saturday Feb. 11th at 10:30 a.m. M&H is
      one of the last major type foundries still in
      business, and a tour of their facility in the Presidio
      of San Francisco will be a real treat.

      This is an invitation for a free tour of M&H Type
      foundry and adjacent Arion press and bindery.

      The original invitation that was first sent to the
      sfletterpress list is now being extended to you! The
      original invitation was sent to the sfletterpress
      group and "your friends."
      Since everyone on ppletterpress is a friend of mine,
      that means everyone on the ppletterpress list is now
      invited too!!!
      As sfletterpress list manager, I am forwarding this
      invitation to all who might also be able to join in on
      the fun.

      Hope some of you can join us! See details below...

      Best wishes,

      --Steve

      Steve Robison
      sfletterpress list manager
      & letterpress printer
      Belmont, CA

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
        Steve,

        Does this offer extend to friends of those on this list? As in friends
        who are not on the list but might be very interested in coming?

        Marnie Powers-Torrey
        Studio Manager, Instructor, Printer
        Book Arts Program and Red Butte Press
        J. Willard Marriott Library
        295 South 1500 East
        Salt Lake City, UT 84112

        and who will be in and around San Francisco on Saturday Feb. 11th at
        10:30 a.m. M&H is one of the last major type foundries still in
        business, and a tour of their facility in the Presidio of San Francisco
        will be a real treat.

        This is an invitation for a free tour of M&H Type foundry and adjacent
        Arion press and bindery.

        The original invitation that was first sent to the sfletterpress list is
        now being extended to you! The original invitation was sent to the
        sfletterpress group and "your friends."
        Since everyone on ppletterpress is a friend of mine, that means everyone
        on the ppletterpress list is now invited too!!!
        As sfletterpress list manager, I am forwarding this invitation to all
        who might also be able to join in on the fun.

        Hope some of you can join us! See details below...

        Best wishes,

        --Steve

        Steve Robison
        sfletterpress list manager
        & letterpress printer
        Belmont, CA

        > We will be hosting a free tour on Saturday, February 11, at 10:30 a.m.

        > for members of the sfletterpress group and your friends. The focus of
        > the tour will be the typefoundry, but you will also see the pressroom,

        > bookbindery, and gallery. In the foundry we will be casting type on
        > the Monotype composition and Thompson casters. Lewis Mitchell and I
        > will be on hand to answer any questions you may have about the
        > operation. Please call or e- mail me so we can accommodate you and
        > your party.
        > The tour will start promptly at 10:30 a.m. and conclude around noon.
        > If you cannot make it to this tour, another may be scheduled in the
        > near future. We also offer tours of the facility on Thursdays at 3:00
        > p.m.
        > to the general public for a fee of $7.00 per person by reservation.
        > There will be no charge on this occasion.
        >
        > Directions: We are located just inside the Presidio entrance on
        > Fifteenth Avenue off Lake Street, on the Richmond/Sea Cliff side of
        > the Presidio. Once inside the entrance, proceed to the stop sign in
        > front of the vacant Public Health Services Hospital. To the right of
        > the hospital is a tall smokestack, attached to our building, #1802.
        > Turn right at the stop sign onto Wedemeyer and follow the road around
        > to the left where it becomes Hays Street.
        > Parking is available in front of our building and in the lower lots
        > near the Presidio entrance.
        >
        > Further information about M & H Type and Arion Press can be found on
        > our website listed below.
        >
        > Kenny Howard
        > M & H Type
        > Tel: 415-668-2546
        > E-mail: mandhtype@...
        > Web: www.arionpress.com

        Steve Robison
        Belmont, CA
        robisonsteve@...

      • Steve Robison
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
          Marnie,

          I may be going out on a limb here, but your
          interpretation works for me! Just make sure these
          "friends of friends" RSVP by e-mail or phone to Kenny
          Howard at M&H so that M&H can anticipate and prepare
          to accomodate. They just need to say that they are
          friends of the sfletterpress group. Of course, if
          these "friends of friends" feel a little nervous about
          that, they could always sign up as sfletterpress list
          members before Feb. 11 and they would then become
          clearly part of the "officially invited" group if they
          want too :-)

          The link to sign up for the sfletterpress list is

          then click on "join this group.

          Here's the contact info for M&H Type for the RSVP:

          Kenny Howard
          M & H Type
          Tel: 415-668-2546
          E-mail: mandhtype@...
          Web: www.arionpress.com

          Best wishes,

          --Steve

          Steve Robison
          sfletterpress list manager
          & letterpress printer
          Belmont, CA

          --- Marnie Powers-Torrey
          <marnie.torrey@...> wrote:

          > Steve,
          >
          > Does this offer extend to friends of those on this
          > list? As in friends
          > who are not on the list but might be very interested
          > in coming?
          >

          > Marnie Powers-Torrey
          > Studio Manager, Instructor, Printer
          > Book Arts Program and Red Butte Press