Re: OT problems

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2006
      Hi James

      Can't help you much with this. I stopped using OpenType fonts a while
      back. The systems don't (or won't) get em right; the apps don't (or
      won't) get em right. I don't think they are right. Half the OT fonts I
      own are basically junk because they were released too early and the
      format has still not standardized. This is a bit nuts.

      I finally just came to the conclusion that I can't spend all day
      trying to figure out problems that software engineers can't figure out
      either. I just need to get the job out. I'm back to PS1 for
      everything. I'm tired of reading the upbeat hype and then, the ongoing
      problems.

      I don't know of any specific approach that is tried and true.
      Sometimes specifically you will be lucky but on a general basis,
      across the board, not likely. I think waiting around 6 or 7 years for
      a format to standardize and stabilize (I'm not talking about getting
      accepted, that's a whole different story altogether) is a bit
      foreboding. PS1 was stable right from the get go and held its own for
      well over a decade. It might be quite dated technologically, but it works.

      In retrospect, the QuickDraw GX format was lucky; it died fast. OT is
      just going to linger and linger and linger. Just wish the systems/apps
      developers would get their act together before they kill off PS1
      compatibility completely or we basically end up in a daily nightmare
      of "who's on first?"

      Good luck

      Gerald

    • Jason Dewinetz
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 30, 2006
        Hi James,

        Can't seem to find the original post Gerald was commenting on (below). Could
        you direct me to your query as I'm curious what problems you're having with
        which OT fonts. Unlike Gerald, I'm a big fan of OT fonts (that is, if
        they're well-put-together) and would be interested to hear what you're
        running up against. You can reach me directly at the address below, but
        others may benefit from keeping the exchange on-forum.

        Jason

        Jason Dewinetz
        jason@...
        www.greenboathouse.com/dewinetz

[...]

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "PPLetterpress" on the web.