Re: [PPLetterpress] platemaking question

  • Blue Barnhouse
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 21, 2006
      I like having a plate maker if for no other reason if there is a
      sudden change that needs to be made, I can make it on the spot... I
      don't make my own negatives but I can get them same day from a local
      adpak printer here in town, $8 for a 13.5x21 sheet-- I spend far
      less on plates now than I did when I had someone else make them,
      especially the larger plates. What could get over $100 for an
      oversize plate, now costs me less than $30 in materials. When we
      price them out for clients we mark it up any where from 100-300%
      depending on the plate size. When you first start you probably come
      out with ruined plates, but overall its no more difficult then
      running a press..

      My question to you is what is your daily output-- is this for client
      work or for yr own pleasure? Are you ever on tight deadlines? All of
      these questions should probably weigh into your decision.

      Brandon Mise
      Blue Barnhouse
      428-B Haywood Rd.
      Asheville, NC 28806