bunting bases & plate creep

  • Bradley Hutchinson
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2002
      >Jerry. I too had the creeping problem with a bunting base on the KSBA. I
      >wonder what Brad Hutchenson uses. Gaylor.d

      Gaylord, I use the Bunting bases for the bulk of my jobbing work, but use a
      "butt bar" as Gerry describes to help limit plate creep. The main virtue of
      the Bunting base, in my opinion, is its solidity and machined precision
      more than the strength of its grip. I use a large Patmag for book work,
      but the top layer of soft magnetic material will compress under heavy
      impression and create a halo effect in the larger point sizes of type so
      it is less useful for general job printing. Books require less impression
      and the smaller point sizes don't sink into the softer magnetic material,
      so the Patmag works fine for books. For both bases I find that a light
      misting of spray mount on the back of the plate is enough to keep it from
      moving, except for jobs that require Very Heavy impression--like most of
      the graphic designers prefer these days.

      Something about plate creep I don't understand: without the aforementioned
      butt bar (mine is a piece of steel rule ground down just below type high)
      the plate will creep toward the grippers, but with the butt bar in place to
      limit movement in that direction the plate will then start to creep in the
      opposite direction. It seems like the plate would be inclined to move in
      only one direction due to the pressue of impression. Any ideas?

      *****
      Bradley Hutchinson
      Digital Letterpress
      1906 Miriam
      Austin, Texas 78722

      512-478-7632
      501-421-2959 fax
    • esslemont@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2002
        Bradley - The reason the plate creeps away from the butt bar can be explained
        by Isaac Newton's famous third law of motion: 'Every action has an equal and
        opposite re-action'.
        As the plate is pushed against the bar the re-action pushes it away.
        David