Re: [PPLetterpress] Re:Pagemaker ligatures

  • Roland Reuß
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 5, 2006
      John,

      > Here in Holland there's a big movement for ignoring the
      > latest alterations in the spelling. That 'new' spelling
      > is made very fast and ill thought through.

      > So even some newspapers they do not follow it. They don't
      > apply anymore.....

      Exactly the same over here. It's a chaos coming out of
      prepotent bureaucracy. On the other hand people now finally
      learn that orthography is arbitrary and not a gift of the
      gods (or devils ;-) And that's a progress in any case.

      > Are you willing to implement the "new rules"

      In no case. For our journal we receive articles in different
      spellings, so we have to 'reset' orthography from time to
      time. I have to admit that it's not such a big job, mainly
      the rules for sharp s and the spelling of composita
      (together or disjunct) are really different. This last
      issue will be drawn back soon by the responsible comittee.
      To put it optimistically: I expect a liberalisation.

      Best,
      Roland

      --
      TOFU, oder: die Tücken der e-mail