Re: [PPLetterpress] Re:Pagemaker ligatures

  • Roland Reuß
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
      John asked

      > How about the rules of ligatures in German, before or
      > after the new spelling ?

      The rules (the plural is multivalent here) are only
      orthographic, so prima vista there should only be a change
      if hyphenation is involved. But that's an abyss ...

      Roland

      --
      TOFU, oder: die Tücken der e-mail
      <http://www.textkritik.de/schriftundcharakter/sundc008tofu.htm>
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 4, 2006
        At 23:18 3-1-06, you wrote:
        >John asked
        >
        > > How about the rules of ligatures in German, before or
        > > after the new spelling ?
        >
        >The rules (the plural is multivalent here) are only
        >orthographic, so prima vista there should only be a change
        >if hyphenation is involved. But that's an abyss ...
        >
        >Roland

        Hi Roland,

        Here in Holland there's a big movement for ignoring the latest alterations in
        the spelling. That 'new' spelling is made very fast and ill thought through.

        So even some newspapers they do not follow it. They don't apply
        anymore.....

        How about Germany ? Are you willing to implement the "new rules"

        Best wishes

        John Cornelisse

        Letter-press & Typefounding, Monotype-composition

        Vaartstraat 23
        4553 AN Philippine
        (Zeeuws Vlaanderen)
        The Netherlands

        + 31 - (0) 115 - 491184
        email: enkidu@...

        So she spoke to him and her word found favour,
        he knew by instinct, he should seek a friend.

      • Roland Reuß
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 5, 2006
          John,

          > Here in Holland there's a big movement for ignoring the
          > latest alterations in the spelling. That 'new' spelling
          > is made very fast and ill thought through.

          > So even some newspapers they do not follow it. They don't
          > apply anymore.....

          Exactly the same over here. It's a chaos coming out of
          prepotent bureaucracy. On the other hand people now finally
          learn that orthography is arbitrary and not a gift of the
          gods (or devils ;-) And that's a progress in any case.

          > Are you willing to implement the "new rules"

          In no case. For our journal we receive articles in different
          spellings, so we have to 'reset' orthography from time to
          time. I have to admit that it's not such a big job, mainly
          the rules for sharp s and the spelling of composita
          (together or disjunct) are really different. This last
          issue will be drawn back soon by the responsible comittee.
          To put it optimistically: I expect a liberalisation.

          Best,
          Roland