Re: [PPLetterpress] Re:Pagemaker ligatures

  • John Cornelisse
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
      At 20:54 3-1-06, you wrote:
      >Setting type for a German public, the rules for setting
      >ligatures are much more complicated. We own licenses for
      >Indesign and for Quark, but I have to control everything
      >manually as there is no possibility of a 'global replace'.
      >To use an automatic replacement indeed would make
      >everything worse than having none. So in that respect it
      >doesn't matter whether you use Quark or Indesign.
      Roland,

      How about the rules of ligatures in German, before or after the new spelling ?

      Best wishes

      John Cornelisse

      Letter-press & Typefounding, Monotype-composition

      Vaartstraat 23
      4553 AN Philippine
      (Zeeuws Vlaanderen)
      The Netherlands

      + 31 - (0) 115 - 491184
      email: enkidu@...

      So she spoke to him and her word found favour,
      he knew by instinct, he should seek a friend.

    • Roland Reuß
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
        John asked

        > How about the rules of ligatures in German, before or
        > after the new spelling ?

        The rules (the plural is multivalent here) are only
        orthographic, so prima vista there should only be a change
        if hyphenation is involved. But that's an abyss ...

        Roland

        --
        TOFU, oder: die Tücken der e-mail
        <http://www.textkritik.de/schriftundcharakter/sundc008tofu.htm>
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 4, 2006
          At 23:18 3-1-06, you wrote:
          >John asked
          >
          > > How about the rules of ligatures in German, before or
          > > after the new spelling ?
          >
          >The rules (the plural is multivalent here) are only
          >orthographic, so prima vista there should only be a change
          >if hyphenation is involved. But that's an abyss ...
          >
          >Roland

          Hi Roland,

          Here in Holland there's a big movement for ignoring the latest alterations in
          the spelling. That 'new' spelling is made very fast and ill thought through.

          So even some newspapers they do not follow it. They don't apply
          anymore.....

          How about Germany ? Are you willing to implement the "new rules"

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 5, 2006
            John,

            > Here in Holland there's a big movement for ignoring the
            > latest alterations in the spelling. That 'new' spelling
            > is made very fast and ill thought through.

            > So even some newspapers they do not follow it. They don't
            > apply anymore.....

            Exactly the same over here. It's a chaos coming out of
            prepotent bureaucracy. On the other hand people now finally
            learn that orthography is arbitrary and not a gift of the
            gods (or devils ;-) And that's a progress in any case.

            > Are you willing to implement the "new rules"

            In no case. For our journal we receive articles in different
            spellings, so we have to 'reset' orthography from time to
            time. I have to admit that it's not such a big job, mainly
            the rules for sharp s and the spelling of composita
            (together or disjunct) are really different. This last
            issue will be drawn back soon by the responsible comittee.
            To put it optimistically: I expect a liberalisation.

            Best,
            Roland