RE: [PPLetterpress] ligatures in Quark

  • Dan Franklin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2006
      John Henry wrote:

      >I recently switched from Quark Xpress on my Macintosh to Quark for
      >Windows and found that the automatic ligatures feature was no more. I
      >even found it impossible to get to the font locations for the ligatures
      >using Quark. I am certain there must be a way, but I was pushed for
      >time, so chose not to use the standard ligatures that time. I will take
      >some time and make inquiry as to how to retrieve the ligatures I need
      >using the Quark on a Windows machine.
      >
      >I had hoped to search and replace for the ligatured characters, but
      >could not put the code into place for the ligatures.

      Unfortunately, John, standard PostScript Type 1 text fonts for
      Windows do not contain the fi and fl ligatures. (These and a few
      other characters are only available on the Mac font versions; but
      note that the Windows versions have a few characters not on the Mac
      versions.) However, additional Expert fonts are available for many
      text typefaces, and these include all 5 common f-ligatures, although
      automatic substitution is not possible in this case.

      A couple of other observations while we're on this thread:

      (1) It may be that the compositor for these books that contain no
      f-ligatures is using Quark on Windows (and therefore has no access to
      the ligatures except as I have noted above).

      (2) A very few typefaces have such ugly ligatures that I won't use
      them. Trump Medieval is one -- what was the designer
      thinking/drinking!? In the case of Trump, the buttonhook f causes no
      problem when combined with the ordinary dotted-i or l.
    • Michael Barnes
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2006
        Once I was a Mac Quark fan, but there are many riches only to be found
        in InDesign. I am using CS2 for Macintosh. It automatically substitutes
        the mighty 5 ligatures, if they are available in the font:

        Character palette / flyout (options) button / select Ligatures.

        Quark cannot do more than fi and fl, and messing with expert sets is a
        pain.

        InDesign will also automatically substitute additional ligs like ct and
        st (again, if they are present in the font, which is most likely if the
        fonts are recent OpenType):

        Character palette / flyout (options) button / select OpenType / select
        Discretionary Ligatures.

        I agree with another writer who said a few ligatures in a few fonts are
        ugly. So is inconsistency, or using only 2 of 5 ligatures.

        Happy New Year!

        Michael Barnes