Re: [PPLetterpress] Digital Ligatures

  • Graham and Kathy
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
      All the logical reasons for complaint were concisely expressed in Austins
      email. Those of us who think it's important ought to be complaining every
      time we see a publisher with lax standards in this as well as the other
      respects that concern not just us but a wider constituency. For instance, in
      the UK there is an awareness reported in the literary sections of the daily
      press of a loss of editorial work and of proof-reading. I would assume that
      it's all to do with making books cheaper by cutting overheads, and thus ties
      in with using under-educated typists when it comes to setting the books
      instead of typists who know what correct typesetting should entail.

      Despite such an economic imperative running the show, I wouldn't consider
      complaining about falling standards to be a waste of time. There are
      publishers who maintain standards, and they manage in the same market. They
      should get letters too.

      Graham Moss
      Incline Press
      36 Bow Street
      Oldham OL1 1SJ England
      http://www.inclinepress.com
    • Scott Rubel
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
        The only way to get this across to publishers is the old-fashioned
        way: boycott and demonstrate. Pace out front of your favorite
        bookstore carrying a sign with an "f" and "l" with a red circle and
        cross through them. Hand out broadsides. Check shoppers' bags for
        ligatureless reading matter and implore them to return it and get
        their money back.

        I am doing my part. I am circling every missed opportunity for a
        ligature in every book I received for Christmas and I'm sending them
        back to the publishers as "unreadable" and telling them to get their
        (and here's my favorite ligature) fhit together.

        ♜Scott Rubel♖

        On Jan 2, 2006, at 8:11 AM, Austin wrote:

        > Graham and Kathy wrote:
        >
        >> Ignorance, cup-fulls of ignorance, and maybe a dash of laziness
        >> and a pinch of 'faux hip'.
        >>
        >> Graham Moss
        >> Incline Press
        >> 36 Bow Street
        >> Oldham OL1 1SJ England
        >> http://www.inclinepress.com
        >>
        > I gather - everyone on this list agrees with me in being frustrated at
        > the failure to use the f ligature. The question then seems to me - How
        > do we communicate this point to the publishers? I personally intend to
        > contact Random House to voice my displeasure with their lack of
        > diligence in monitoring the typesetting of their books. I feel that
        > the
        > only way to preserve these standards is to scream loud and often.
        > Apathy
        > is the cause for change in society more often than activism
        >
        > --
        > Austin Jones
        > prints by AJ
        > Point Pleasant, WV USA
        > austin@...
        > http://printsbyaj.com
      • Scott Rubel
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
          I was not aware of this in InDesign.

          Bummer…all the time I spent inserting ligatures.

          Ignorance. Thank you for the lesson.

          --Scott

          On Jan 2, 2006, at 8:47 AM, Carole Aldrich wrote:

          > It is very simple to "turn on" the use of ligatures in page layout
          > software like Quark or InDesign. It does not make extra work, only
          > the awareness that this should be done, just as turning on the
          > function to convert "typewriter quotes" to "curly quotes".
          >
          > Carole Aldrich
          > carolealdrich@...
          > 909-625-7722
          > 909-625-9822 fax
          > 909-374-2981 cell
        • Farida Bee
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
            Scott,

            This would make a great T-shirt design.

            Farida

            --- Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:

            > Pace out front of your favorite bookstore carrying a
            sign with an "f" and "l" with a red circle and cross
            through them.

            Just $16.99/mo. or less.
            dsl.yahoo.com
          • Michael T. Metz
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
              That's hilarious, and it would probably make the
              news. Civil disobedience at its best.

              The only way to get this across to publishers is the old-fashioned
              way: boycott and demonstrate. Pace out front of your favorite
              bookstore carrying a sign with an "f" and "l" with a red circle and
              cross through them. Hand out broadsides. Check shoppers' bags for
              ligatureless reading matter and implore them to return it and get
              their money back.

              I am doing my part. I am circling every missed opportunity for a
              ligature in every book I received for Christmas and I'm sending them
              back to the publishers as "unreadable" and telling them to get their
              (and here's my favorite ligature) fhit together.

              ♜Scott Rubel♖

              On Jan 2, 2006, at 8:11 AM, Austin wrote:

              > Graham and Kathy wrote:
              >
              >> Ignorance, cup-fulls of ignorance, and maybe a dash of laziness
              >> and a pinch of 'faux hip'.
              >>
              >> Graham Moss
              >> Incline Press
              >> 36 Bow Street
              >> Oldham OL1 1SJ England
              >> http://www.inclinepress.com
              >>
              > I gather - everyone on this list agrees with me in being frustrated at
              > the failure to use the f ligature. The question then seems to me - How
              > do we communicate this point to the publishers? I personally intend to
              > contact Random House to voice my displeasure with their lack of
              > diligence in monitoring the typesetting of their books. I feel that
              > the
              > only way to preserve these standards is to scream loud and often.
              > Apathy
              > is the cause for change in society more often than activism
              >
              > --
              > Austin Jones
              > prints by AJ
              > Point Pleasant, WV USA