Re: [PPLetterpress] Digital Ligatures

  • Carole Aldrich
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
      It is very simple to "turn on" the use of ligatures in page layout
      software like Quark or InDesign. It does not make extra work, only
      the awareness that this should be done, just as turning on the
      function to convert "typewriter quotes" to "curly quotes".

      Carole Aldrich
      carolealdrich@...
      909-625-7722
      909-625-9822 fax
      909-374-2981 cell
    • Graham and Kathy
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
        All the logical reasons for complaint were concisely expressed in Austins
        email. Those of us who think it's important ought to be complaining every
        time we see a publisher with lax standards in this as well as the other
        respects that concern not just us but a wider constituency. For instance, in
        the UK there is an awareness reported in the literary sections of the daily
        press of a loss of editorial work and of proof-reading. I would assume that
        it's all to do with making books cheaper by cutting overheads, and thus ties
        in with using under-educated typists when it comes to setting the books
        instead of typists who know what correct typesetting should entail.

        Despite such an economic imperative running the show, I wouldn't consider
        complaining about falling standards to be a waste of time. There are
        publishers who maintain standards, and they manage in the same market. They
        should get letters too.

        Graham Moss
        Incline Press
        36 Bow Street
        Oldham OL1 1SJ England
        http://www.inclinepress.com
      • Scott Rubel
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
          The only way to get this across to publishers is the old-fashioned
          way: boycott and demonstrate. Pace out front of your favorite
          bookstore carrying a sign with an "f" and "l" with a red circle and
          cross through them. Hand out broadsides. Check shoppers' bags for
          ligatureless reading matter and implore them to return it and get
          their money back.

          I am doing my part. I am circling every missed opportunity for a
          ligature in every book I received for Christmas and I'm sending them
          back to the publishers as "unreadable" and telling them to get their
          (and here's my favorite ligature) fhit together.

          ♜Scott Rubel♖

          On Jan 2, 2006, at 8:11 AM, Austin wrote:

          > Graham and Kathy wrote:
          >
          >> Ignorance, cup-fulls of ignorance, and maybe a dash of laziness
          >> and a pinch of 'faux hip'.
          >>
          >> Graham Moss
          >> Incline Press
          >> 36 Bow Street
          >> Oldham OL1 1SJ England
          >> http://www.inclinepress.com
          >>
          > I gather - everyone on this list agrees with me in being frustrated at
          > the failure to use the f ligature. The question then seems to me - How
          > do we communicate this point to the publishers? I personally intend to
          > contact Random House to voice my displeasure with their lack of
          > diligence in monitoring the typesetting of their books. I feel that
          > the
          > only way to preserve these standards is to scream loud and often.
          > Apathy
          > is the cause for change in society more often than activism
          >
          > --
          > Austin Jones
          > prints by AJ
          > Point Pleasant, WV USA
          > austin@...
          > http://printsbyaj.com
        • Scott Rubel
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
            I was not aware of this in InDesign.

            Bummer…all the time I spent inserting ligatures.

            Ignorance. Thank you for the lesson.

            --Scott

            On Jan 2, 2006, at 8:47 AM, Carole Aldrich wrote:

            > It is very simple to "turn on" the use of ligatures in page layout
            > software like Quark or InDesign. It does not make extra work, only
            > the awareness that this should be done, just as turning on the
            > function to convert "typewriter quotes" to "curly quotes".
            >
            > Carole Aldrich
            > carolealdrich@...
            > 909-625-7722
            > 909-625-9822 fax
            > 909-374-2981 cell
          • Farida Bee
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
              Scott,

              This would make a great T-shirt design.

              Farida

              --- Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:

              > Pace out front of your favorite bookstore carrying a
              sign with an "f" and "l" with a red circle and cross
              through them.

              Just $16.99/mo. or less.
              dsl.yahoo.com
            • Michael T. Metz
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
                That's hilarious, and it would probably make the
                news. Civil disobedience at its best.

                The only way to get this across to publishers is the old-fashioned
                way: boycott and demonstrate. Pace out front of your favorite
                bookstore carrying a sign with an "f" and "l" with a red circle and
                cross through them. Hand out broadsides. Check shoppers' bags for
                ligatureless reading matter and implore them to return it and get
                their money back.

                I am doing my part. I am circling every missed opportunity for a
                ligature in every book I received for Christmas and I'm sending them
                back to the publishers as "unreadable" and telling them to get their
                (and here's my favorite ligature) fhit together.

                ♜Scott Rubel♖

                On Jan 2, 2006, at 8:11 AM, Austin wrote:

                > Graham and Kathy wrote:
                >
                >> Ignorance, cup-fulls of ignorance, and maybe a dash of laziness
                >> and a pinch of 'faux hip'.
                >>
                >> Graham Moss
                >> Incline Press
                >> 36 Bow Street
                >> Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                >> http://www.inclinepress.com
                >>
                > I gather - everyone on this list agrees with me in being frustrated at
                > the failure to use the f ligature. The question then seems to me - How
                > do we communicate this point to the publishers? I personally intend to
                > contact Random House to voice my displeasure with their lack of
                > diligence in monitoring the typesetting of their books. I feel that
                > the
                > only way to preserve these standards is to scream loud and often.
                > Apathy
                > is the cause for change in society more often than activism
                >
                > --
                > Austin Jones
                > prints by AJ
                > Point Pleasant, WV USA