Re: [PPLetterpress] Digital Ligatures

  • Austin
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
      Graham and Kathy wrote:

      > Ignorance, cup-fulls of ignorance, and maybe a dash of laziness and a
      > pinch
      > of 'faux hip'.
      >

      > Graham Moss
      > Incline Press
      > 36 Bow Street
      > Oldham OL1 1SJ England
      > http://www.inclinepress.com

      I gather - everyone on this list agrees with me in being frustrated at
      the failure to use the f ligature. The question then seems to me - How
      do we communicate this point to the publishers? I personally intend to
      contact Random House to voice my displeasure with their lack of
      diligence in monitoring the typesetting of their books. I feel that the
      only way to preserve these standards is to scream loud and often. Apathy
      is the cause for change in society more often than activism

      --

      Austin Jones
      prints by AJ

    • Carole Aldrich
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
        It is very simple to "turn on" the use of ligatures in page layout
        software like Quark or InDesign. It does not make extra work, only
        the awareness that this should be done, just as turning on the
        function to convert "typewriter quotes" to "curly quotes".

        Carole Aldrich
        carolealdrich@...
        909-625-7722
        909-625-9822 fax
        909-374-2981 cell
      • Graham and Kathy
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
          All the logical reasons for complaint were concisely expressed in Austins
          email. Those of us who think it's important ought to be complaining every
          time we see a publisher with lax standards in this as well as the other
          respects that concern not just us but a wider constituency. For instance, in
          the UK there is an awareness reported in the literary sections of the daily
          press of a loss of editorial work and of proof-reading. I would assume that
          it's all to do with making books cheaper by cutting overheads, and thus ties
          in with using under-educated typists when it comes to setting the books
          instead of typists who know what correct typesetting should entail.

          Despite such an economic imperative running the show, I wouldn't consider
          complaining about falling standards to be a waste of time. There are
          publishers who maintain standards, and they manage in the same market. They
          should get letters too.

          Graham Moss
          Incline Press
          36 Bow Street
          Oldham OL1 1SJ England
          http://www.inclinepress.com
        • Scott Rubel
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
            The only way to get this across to publishers is the old-fashioned
            way: boycott and demonstrate. Pace out front of your favorite
            bookstore carrying a sign with an "f" and "l" with a red circle and
            cross through them. Hand out broadsides. Check shoppers' bags for
            ligatureless reading matter and implore them to return it and get
            their money back.

            I am doing my part. I am circling every missed opportunity for a
            ligature in every book I received for Christmas and I'm sending them
            back to the publishers as "unreadable" and telling them to get their
            (and here's my favorite ligature) fhit together.

            ♜Scott Rubel♖

            On Jan 2, 2006, at 8:11 AM, Austin wrote:

            > Graham and Kathy wrote:
            >
            >> Ignorance, cup-fulls of ignorance, and maybe a dash of laziness
            >> and a pinch of 'faux hip'.
            >>
            >> Graham Moss
            >> Incline Press
            >> 36 Bow Street
            >> Oldham OL1 1SJ England
            >> http://www.inclinepress.com
            >>
            > I gather - everyone on this list agrees with me in being frustrated at
            > the failure to use the f ligature. The question then seems to me - How
            > do we communicate this point to the publishers? I personally intend to
            > contact Random House to voice my displeasure with their lack of
            > diligence in monitoring the typesetting of their books. I feel that
            > the
            > only way to preserve these standards is to scream loud and often.
            > Apathy
            > is the cause for change in society more often than activism
            >
            > --
            > Austin Jones
            > prints by AJ
            > Point Pleasant, WV USA
            > austin@...
            > http://printsbyaj.com
          • Scott Rubel
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
              I was not aware of this in InDesign.

              Bummer…all the time I spent inserting ligatures.

              Ignorance. Thank you for the lesson.

              --Scott

              On Jan 2, 2006, at 8:47 AM, Carole Aldrich wrote:

              > It is very simple to "turn on" the use of ligatures in page layout
              > software like Quark or InDesign. It does not make extra work, only
              > the awareness that this should be done, just as turning on the
              > function to convert "typewriter quotes" to "curly quotes".
              >
              > Carole Aldrich
              > carolealdrich@...
              > 909-625-7722
              > 909-625-9822 fax
              > 909-374-2981 cell
            • Farida Bee
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
                Scott,

                This would make a great T-shirt design.

                Farida

                --- Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:

                > Pace out front of your favorite bookstore carrying a
                sign with an "f" and "l" with a red circle and cross
                through them.

                Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                dsl.yahoo.com
              • Michael T. Metz
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
                  That's hilarious, and it would probably make the
                  news. Civil disobedience at its best.

                  The only way to get this across to publishers is the old-fashioned
                  way: boycott and demonstrate. Pace out front of your favorite
                  bookstore carrying a sign with an "f" and "l" with a red circle and
                  cross through them. Hand out broadsides. Check shoppers' bags for
                  ligatureless reading matter and implore them to return it and get
                  their money back.

                  I am doing my part. I am circling every missed opportunity for a
                  ligature in every book I received for Christmas and I'm sending them
                  back to the publishers as "unreadable" and telling them to get their
                  (and here's my favorite ligature) fhit together.

                  ♜Scott Rubel♖

                  On Jan 2, 2006, at 8:11 AM, Austin wrote:

                  > Graham and Kathy wrote:
                  >
                  >> Ignorance, cup-fulls of ignorance, and maybe a dash of laziness
                  >> and a pinch of 'faux hip'.
                  >>
                  >> Graham Moss
                  >> Incline Press
                  >> 36 Bow Street
                  >> Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                  >> http://www.inclinepress.com
                  >>
                  > I gather - everyone on this list agrees with me in being frustrated at
                  > the failure to use the f ligature. The question then seems to me - How
                  > do we communicate this point to the publishers? I personally intend to
                  > contact Random House to voice my displeasure with their lack of
                  > diligence in monitoring the typesetting of their books. I feel that
                  > the
                  > only way to preserve these standards is to scream loud and often.
                  > Apathy
                  > is the cause for change in society more often than activism
                  >
                  > --
                  > Austin Jones
                  > prints by AJ
                  > Point Pleasant, WV USA