Re: [PPLetterpress]

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2002
      Oh yeah.

      Michael Barnes wrote:

      > "Finer points..." -- that must make you a student of Dowding, Gerald. The
      > Vancouver Public Library had a copy of his book, which I read years ago when
      > I did a lot of typesetting (always on the computer). It taught me enough to
      > regret all the setting I had done before. M. Barnes
      >

      > To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
      > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > Encountering problems?
      > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

    • Michael Barnes
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2002
          In my shop we have been using and printing Indesign files since 2 came out.
          It presents no problems because one of my staff loves it and works
          comfortably in Illustrator and Photoshop anyway. Using OS10 on the Mac we
          can even open PC Indesign files along with the PC fonts.

          We have no experience with Open type yet as far as I know. But at a recent
          trade show in Toronto I watched an Adobe instructor demonstrate wonderful
          Indesign features: like type transparency, type stroke and fill (all while
          editable) and a font character display which is far better than Keycaps.

          As to PDF, we receive and print plenty of them but because we seldom know
          how they were made, we are left with mysteries at the end. Be cautious
          importing PDFs into Quark picture boxes and then printing. Recently we have
          had numerous font defaults at the rip when we followed that method, yet when
          we print from Acrobat the fonts print correctly. Can anyone enlighten me on
          that? It may be wiser to import PDFs into Indesign and print from there,
          since then we are remaining in the Adobe family, so to speak.

          Michael Barnes
          Vancouver