RE: [PPLetterpress] Digital Ligatures

  • Michael T. Metz
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 1, 2006
      Yes, good job reading my mind.

      It doesn't sound like much of an argument for
      dropping ligatures.

      Thanks,
      Mike

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
        Ignorance, cup-fulls of ignorance, and maybe a dash of laziness and a pinch
        of 'faux hip'.

        Graham Moss
        Incline Press
        36 Bow Street
        Oldham OL1 1SJ England
        http://www.inclinepress.com

        On 1/1/06 17:53, "Austin" <austin@...> wrote:

        > I have a question for all you digital types. Why are these mainstream
        > publishers failing to use "f" ligatures in book typesetting? Being used
        > to setting type in metal, the use of fl, fi etc. as ligatures seems
        > commonplace to me. I have noticed this more and more in modern
        > publications. The f and l, or f and i overlap and are obviously separate
        > letters. To me a well designed page will appear an even gray to the
        > reader. Spots of black or white are distracting and show poor design on
        > the part of the typesetter or book designer unless that is the
        > objective. These spots can be used quite effectively to draw attention
        > to a particular point on the page. I am very aware of that. The black
        > spots where the f and l overlap is excessively black. BAD from my
        > perspective. It is difficult for me to see it other than laziness on the
        > part of the typesetters. Even the most basic of word processors will
        > accommodate the search and replace function. Is this just another sign
        > of the times?
        >
        > Just wondering.
      • Austin
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
          Graham and Kathy wrote:

          > Ignorance, cup-fulls of ignorance, and maybe a dash of laziness and a
          > pinch
          > of 'faux hip'.
          >

          > Graham Moss
          > Incline Press
          > 36 Bow Street
          > Oldham OL1 1SJ England
          > http://www.inclinepress.com

          I gather - everyone on this list agrees with me in being frustrated at
          the failure to use the f ligature. The question then seems to me - How
          do we communicate this point to the publishers? I personally intend to
          contact Random House to voice my displeasure with their lack of
          diligence in monitoring the typesetting of their books. I feel that the
          only way to preserve these standards is to scream loud and often. Apathy
          is the cause for change in society more often than activism

          --

          Austin Jones
          prints by AJ

        • Carole Aldrich
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
            It is very simple to "turn on" the use of ligatures in page layout
            software like Quark or InDesign. It does not make extra work, only
            the awareness that this should be done, just as turning on the
            function to convert "typewriter quotes" to "curly quotes".

            Carole Aldrich
            carolealdrich@...
            909-625-7722
            909-625-9822 fax
            909-374-2981 cell
          • Graham and Kathy
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
              All the logical reasons for complaint were concisely expressed in Austins
              email. Those of us who think it's important ought to be complaining every
              time we see a publisher with lax standards in this as well as the other
              respects that concern not just us but a wider constituency. For instance, in
              the UK there is an awareness reported in the literary sections of the daily
              press of a loss of editorial work and of proof-reading. I would assume that
              it's all to do with making books cheaper by cutting overheads, and thus ties
              in with using under-educated typists when it comes to setting the books
              instead of typists who know what correct typesetting should entail.

              Despite such an economic imperative running the show, I wouldn't consider
              complaining about falling standards to be a waste of time. There are
              publishers who maintain standards, and they manage in the same market. They
              should get letters too.

              Graham Moss
              Incline Press
              36 Bow Street
              Oldham OL1 1SJ England
              http://www.inclinepress.com
            • Scott Rubel
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
                The only way to get this across to publishers is the old-fashioned
                way: boycott and demonstrate. Pace out front of your favorite
                bookstore carrying a sign with an "f" and "l" with a red circle and
                cross through them. Hand out broadsides. Check shoppers' bags for
                ligatureless reading matter and implore them to return it and get
                their money back.

                I am doing my part. I am circling every missed opportunity for a
                ligature in every book I received for Christmas and I'm sending them
                back to the publishers as "unreadable" and telling them to get their
                (and here's my favorite ligature) fhit together.

                ♜Scott Rubel♖

                On Jan 2, 2006, at 8:11 AM, Austin wrote:

                > Graham and Kathy wrote:
                >
                >> Ignorance, cup-fulls of ignorance, and maybe a dash of laziness
                >> and a pinch of 'faux hip'.
                >>
                >> Graham Moss
                >> Incline Press
                >> 36 Bow Street
                >> Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                >> http://www.inclinepress.com
                >>
                > I gather - everyone on this list agrees with me in being frustrated at
                > the failure to use the f ligature. The question then seems to me - How
                > do we communicate this point to the publishers? I personally intend to
                > contact Random House to voice my displeasure with their lack of
                > diligence in monitoring the typesetting of their books. I feel that
                > the
                > only way to preserve these standards is to scream loud and often.
                > Apathy
                > is the cause for change in society more often than activism
                >
                > --
                > Austin Jones
                > prints by AJ
                > Point Pleasant, WV USA
                > austin@...
                > http://printsbyaj.com
              • Scott Rubel
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
                  I was not aware of this in InDesign.

                  Bummer…all the time I spent inserting ligatures.

                  Ignorance. Thank you for the lesson.

                  --Scott

                  On Jan 2, 2006, at 8:47 AM, Carole Aldrich wrote:

                  > It is very simple to "turn on" the use of ligatures in page layout
                  > software like Quark or InDesign. It does not make extra work, only
                  > the awareness that this should be done, just as turning on the
                  > function to convert "typewriter quotes" to "curly quotes".
                  >
                  > Carole Aldrich
                  > carolealdrich@...
                  > 909-625-7722
                  > 909-625-9822 fax
                  > 909-374-2981 cell
                • Farida Bee
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
                    Scott,

                    This would make a great T-shirt design.

                    Farida

                    --- Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:

                    > Pace out front of your favorite bookstore carrying a
                    sign with an "f" and "l" with a red circle and cross
                    through them.

                    Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                    dsl.yahoo.com
                  • Michael T. Metz
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
                      That's hilarious, and it would probably make the
                      news. Civil disobedience at its best.

                      The only way to get this across to publishers is the old-fashioned
                      way: boycott and demonstrate. Pace out front of your favorite
                      bookstore carrying a sign with an "f" and "l" with a red circle and
                      cross through them. Hand out broadsides. Check shoppers' bags for
                      ligatureless reading matter and implore them to return it and get
                      their money back.

                      I am doing my part. I am circling every missed opportunity for a
                      ligature in every book I received for Christmas and I'm sending them
                      back to the publishers as "unreadable" and telling them to get their
                      (and here's my favorite ligature) fhit together.

                      ♜Scott Rubel♖

                      On Jan 2, 2006, at 8:11 AM, Austin wrote:

                      > Graham and Kathy wrote:
                      >
                      >> Ignorance, cup-fulls of ignorance, and maybe a dash of laziness
                      >> and a pinch of 'faux hip'.
                      >>
                      >> Graham Moss
                      >> Incline Press
                      >> 36 Bow Street
                      >> Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                      >> http://www.inclinepress.com
                      >>
                      > I gather - everyone on this list agrees with me in being frustrated at
                      > the failure to use the f ligature. The question then seems to me - How
                      > do we communicate this point to the publishers? I personally intend to
                      > contact Random House to voice my displeasure with their lack of
                      > diligence in monitoring the typesetting of their books. I feel that
                      > the
                      > only way to preserve these standards is to scream loud and often.
                      > Apathy
                      > is the cause for change in society more often than activism
                      >
                      > --
                      > Austin Jones
                      > prints by AJ
                      > Point Pleasant, WV USA