Re: [PPLetterpress] Digital Ligatures

  • David Michael McNamara
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 1, 2006
      Older versions of Quark, I believe, didn't have automatic ligatures, and I think the same goes for PageMaker. (I know the newest versions of Quark do, as is the case of InDesign.) And, of course, certain typefaces aren't cooperative with this option, either.

      Of course, someone could go through and manually place the ligatures in there, but the larger publishing houses aren't going to be bother with that for a mass market book. After all, in most cases the title of the person doing the pouring is just that--a Pourer, or Operator, or something similar--and not Graphic Designer, Typographer, et cetera.

      At the end, this is mostly a hunch, and I'm sure there are some other reasons that contribute.
      __

      Davod
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2006
        Mike

        I assume this is in reference to Günter Gerhard Lange? if so. . .

        Can't recall off hand. I think there was some discussion in this regard
        on the Typophile forums a while back. May have had something to do with
        streamlining composition systems or modernizing character sets.

        I have a number of faces designed by Lange that include ligature sets
        and I believe most of the Berthold fonts that I have include ligatures. (?)

        Gerald Lange
        http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

        Michael T. Metz wrote:

        >Hello Gerald:
        >
        >Would you offer a snapshot of his argument?
        >
        >Mike
        >

        >Austin
        >
        >Could be laziness or lack of knowledge. The typesetter could also have
        >turned ligatures off for tracking purposes.
        >
        >While ligatures were a necessity in the setting of most metal text type,
        >they aren't necessarily considered a requirement in digital practice. In
        >fact, the typographer Günter Gerhard Lange (no relation as far as I
        >know), who is the Artistic Director at H. Berthold AG, is well known for
        >his opposition to the use of f-ligatures.
        >
        >Gerald Lange
        >http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
        >
        >Austin wrote:
        >

        >>For Christmas I received the book Stealing God's Thunder by Philip Dray.
        >>This is a book dealing with Ben Franklin and his scientific experiments.
        >>The book is a Random House publication.
        >>
        >>I have a question for all you digital types. Why are these mainstream
        >>publishers failing to use "f" ligatures in book typesetting? Being used
        >>to setting type in metal, the use of fl, fi etc. as ligatures seems
        >>commonplace to me. I have noticed this more and more in modern
        >>publications. The f and l, or f and i overlap and are obviously separate
        >>letters. To me a well designed page will appear an even gray to the
        >>reader. Spots of black or white are distracting and show poor design on
        >>the part of the typesetter or book designer unless that is the
        >>objective. These spots can be used quite effectively to draw attention
        >>to a particular point on the page. I am very aware of that. The black
        >>spots where the f and l overlap is excessively black. BAD from my
        >>perspective. It is difficult for me to see it other than laziness on the
        >>part of the typesetters. Even the most basic of word processors will
        >>accommodate the search and replace function. Is this just another sign
        >>of the times?
        >>
        >>Just wondering.

      • Michael T. Metz
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 1, 2006
          Yes, good job reading my mind.

          It doesn't sound like much of an argument for
          dropping ligatures.

          Thanks,

          Michael T. Metz wrote:

          >Hello Gerald:
          >
          >Would you offer a snapshot of his argument?
          >
          >Mike
          >

          >Austin
          >
          >Could be laziness or lack of knowledge. The typesetter could also have
          >turned ligatures off for tracking purposes.
          >
          >While ligatures were a necessity in the setting of most metal text type,
          >they aren't necessarily considered a requirement in digital practice. In
          >fact, the typographer Günter Gerhard Lange (no relation as far as I
          >know), who is the Artistic Director at H. Berthold AG, is well known for
          >his opposition to the use of f-ligatures.
          >
          >Gerald Lange
          >http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
          >
          >Austin wrote:
          >

          >>For Christmas I received the book Stealing God's Thunder by Philip Dray.
          >>This is a book dealing with Ben Franklin and his scientific experiments.
          >>The book is a Random House publication.
          >>
          >>I have a question for all you digital types. Why are these mainstream
          >>publishers failing to use "f" ligatures in book typesetting? Being used
          >>to setting type in metal, the use of fl, fi etc. as ligatures seems
          >>commonplace to me. I have noticed this more and more in modern
          >>publications. The f and l, or f and i overlap and are obviously separate
          >>letters. To me a well designed page will appear an even gray to the
          >>reader. Spots of black or white are distracting and show poor design on
          >>the part of the typesetter or book designer unless that is the
          >>objective. These spots can be used quite effectively to draw attention
          >>to a particular point on the page. I am very aware of that. The black
          >>spots where the f and l overlap is excessively black. BAD from my
          >>perspective. It is difficult for me to see it other than laziness on the
          >>part of the typesetters. Even the most basic of word processors will
          >>accommodate the search and replace function. Is this just another sign
          >>of the times?
          >>
          >>Just wondering.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Graham and Kathy
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
            Ignorance, cup-fulls of ignorance, and maybe a dash of laziness and a pinch
            of 'faux hip'.

            Graham Moss
            Incline Press
            36 Bow Street
            Oldham OL1 1SJ England
            http://www.inclinepress.com

            On 1/1/06 17:53, "Austin" <austin@...> wrote:

            > I have a question for all you digital types. Why are these mainstream
            > publishers failing to use "f" ligatures in book typesetting? Being used
            > to setting type in metal, the use of fl, fi etc. as ligatures seems
            > commonplace to me. I have noticed this more and more in modern
            > publications. The f and l, or f and i overlap and are obviously separate
            > letters. To me a well designed page will appear an even gray to the
            > reader. Spots of black or white are distracting and show poor design on
            > the part of the typesetter or book designer unless that is the
            > objective. These spots can be used quite effectively to draw attention
            > to a particular point on the page. I am very aware of that. The black
            > spots where the f and l overlap is excessively black. BAD from my
            > perspective. It is difficult for me to see it other than laziness on the
            > part of the typesetters. Even the most basic of word processors will
            > accommodate the search and replace function. Is this just another sign
            > of the times?
            >
            > Just wondering.
          • Austin
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
              Graham and Kathy wrote:

              > Ignorance, cup-fulls of ignorance, and maybe a dash of laziness and a
              > pinch
              > of 'faux hip'.
              >

              > Graham Moss
              > Incline Press
              > 36 Bow Street
              > Oldham OL1 1SJ England
              > http://www.inclinepress.com

              I gather - everyone on this list agrees with me in being frustrated at
              the failure to use the f ligature. The question then seems to me - How
              do we communicate this point to the publishers? I personally intend to
              contact Random House to voice my displeasure with their lack of
              diligence in monitoring the typesetting of their books. I feel that the
              only way to preserve these standards is to scream loud and often. Apathy
              is the cause for change in society more often than activism

              --

              Austin Jones
              prints by AJ

            • Carole Aldrich
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
                It is very simple to "turn on" the use of ligatures in page layout
                software like Quark or InDesign. It does not make extra work, only
                the awareness that this should be done, just as turning on the
                function to convert "typewriter quotes" to "curly quotes".

                Carole Aldrich
                carolealdrich@...
                909-625-7722
                909-625-9822 fax
                909-374-2981 cell
              • Graham and Kathy
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
                  All the logical reasons for complaint were concisely expressed in Austins
                  email. Those of us who think it's important ought to be complaining every
                  time we see a publisher with lax standards in this as well as the other
                  respects that concern not just us but a wider constituency. For instance, in
                  the UK there is an awareness reported in the literary sections of the daily
                  press of a loss of editorial work and of proof-reading. I would assume that
                  it's all to do with making books cheaper by cutting overheads, and thus ties
                  in with using under-educated typists when it comes to setting the books
                  instead of typists who know what correct typesetting should entail.

                  Despite such an economic imperative running the show, I wouldn't consider
                  complaining about falling standards to be a waste of time. There are
                  publishers who maintain standards, and they manage in the same market. They
                  should get letters too.

                  Graham Moss
                  Incline Press
                  36 Bow Street
                  Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                  http://www.inclinepress.com
                • Scott Rubel
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
                    The only way to get this across to publishers is the old-fashioned
                    way: boycott and demonstrate. Pace out front of your favorite
                    bookstore carrying a sign with an "f" and "l" with a red circle and
                    cross through them. Hand out broadsides. Check shoppers' bags for
                    ligatureless reading matter and implore them to return it and get
                    their money back.

                    I am doing my part. I am circling every missed opportunity for a
                    ligature in every book I received for Christmas and I'm sending them
                    back to the publishers as "unreadable" and telling them to get their
                    (and here's my favorite ligature) fhit together.

                    ♜Scott Rubel♖

                    On Jan 2, 2006, at 8:11 AM, Austin wrote:

                    > Graham and Kathy wrote:
                    >
                    >> Ignorance, cup-fulls of ignorance, and maybe a dash of laziness
                    >> and a pinch of 'faux hip'.
                    >>
                    >> Graham Moss
                    >> Incline Press
                    >> 36 Bow Street
                    >> Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                    >> http://www.inclinepress.com
                    >>
                    > I gather - everyone on this list agrees with me in being frustrated at
                    > the failure to use the f ligature. The question then seems to me - How
                    > do we communicate this point to the publishers? I personally intend to
                    > contact Random House to voice my displeasure with their lack of
                    > diligence in monitoring the typesetting of their books. I feel that
                    > the
                    > only way to preserve these standards is to scream loud and often.
                    > Apathy
                    > is the cause for change in society more often than activism
                    >
                    > --
                    > Austin Jones
                    > prints by AJ
                    > Point Pleasant, WV USA
                    > austin@...
                    > http://printsbyaj.com
                  • Scott Rubel
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
                      I was not aware of this in InDesign.

                      Bummer…all the time I spent inserting ligatures.

                      Ignorance. Thank you for the lesson.

                      --Scott

                      On Jan 2, 2006, at 8:47 AM, Carole Aldrich wrote:

                      > It is very simple to "turn on" the use of ligatures in page layout
                      > software like Quark or InDesign. It does not make extra work, only
                      > the awareness that this should be done, just as turning on the
                      > function to convert "typewriter quotes" to "curly quotes".
                      >
                      > Carole Aldrich
                      > carolealdrich@...
                      > 909-625-7722
                      > 909-625-9822 fax
                      > 909-374-2981 cell
                    • Farida Bee
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
                        Scott,

                        This would make a great T-shirt design.

                        Farida

                        --- Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:

                        > Pace out front of your favorite bookstore carrying a
                        sign with an "f" and "l" with a red circle and cross
                        through them.

                        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                        dsl.yahoo.com
                      • Michael T. Metz
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 2, 2006
                          That's hilarious, and it would probably make the
                          news. Civil disobedience at its best.

                          The only way to get this across to publishers is the old-fashioned
                          way: boycott and demonstrate. Pace out front of your favorite
                          bookstore carrying a sign with an "f" and "l" with a red circle and
                          cross through them. Hand out broadsides. Check shoppers' bags for
                          ligatureless reading matter and implore them to return it and get
                          their money back.

                          I am doing my part. I am circling every missed opportunity for a
                          ligature in every book I received for Christmas and I'm sending them
                          back to the publishers as "unreadable" and telling them to get their
                          (and here's my favorite ligature) fhit together.

                          ♜Scott Rubel♖

                          On Jan 2, 2006, at 8:11 AM, Austin wrote:

                          > Graham and Kathy wrote:
                          >
                          >> Ignorance, cup-fulls of ignorance, and maybe a dash of laziness
                          >> and a pinch of 'faux hip'.
                          >>
                          >> Graham Moss
                          >> Incline Press
                          >> 36 Bow Street
                          >> Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                          >> http://www.inclinepress.com
                          >>
                          > I gather - everyone on this list agrees with me in being frustrated at
                          > the failure to use the f ligature. The question then seems to me - How
                          > do we communicate this point to the publishers? I personally intend to
                          > contact Random House to voice my displeasure with their lack of
                          > diligence in monitoring the typesetting of their books. I feel that
                          > the
                          > only way to preserve these standards is to scream loud and often.
                          > Apathy
                          > is the cause for change in society more often than activism
                          >
                          > --
                          > Austin Jones
                          > prints by AJ
                          > Point Pleasant, WV USA