Re: [PPLetterpress] caution: RANT (was The End of Heavy Metal Madness)

  • nagraph@frontier.net
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 28, 2005
      I reread this and came away a second time with an unpleasant feeling about
      Gabel's experience and about him, based on his comments and from the fact of no
      magazines appearing on the Linotype or any effort to go beyond the one poster,
      or making any effort towards his idea at all. The spark was never there, and he
      dwelled more on the fate of his pets than he did on his choice of a new
      hobby/venture. I spent part of today with a printer who shared the same
      excitement that I did as we poked through numerous piles and cases and boxes of
      letterpress junk--the discovery of a pinmark from a foundry in Leipseig Germany
      was a signal event. I doubt that Gabel ever could achieve that level of
      excitement about his collection regardless of investment, expected income, or
      anything else--it just wasn't there to start with, and what ever motivated him
      to buy all that stuff is perplexing--and maybe mentioned in the earlier
      articles.

      Fritz