oil for vandercook motor

  • alex brooks
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 20, 2005
      Recently I decided to change the oil in my vandercook universal I motor
      (apropos of nothing other than it hasn't been done in 42 years).

      Part of this was inspired by a hang tag next to the motor with a list
      of recommended lubricants. part of the tag reads: "CAUTION: All of the
      lubricants listed above contain extreme pressure additives. UNDER NO
      CONDITIONS should unapproved substitutes be used as a lubricant with an
      unsuitable additive may cause serious trouble. For information on
      additional approved lubricants, write factory."

      All of these lubricants are no longer made, so I called Reliance and
      asked them what modern oil to use. They referred me to their archives
      dept. who informed me that they couldn't find a motor with my serial
      number. Here's the entirety of their response via e-mail: " I have
      looked again, are there any letters in front of the numbers?  I'm not
      having any luck locating documentation.  We have also checked
      underground storage."

      So, long story short - what oils do people use in their reliance AC
      motors. The best answer i could get out of reliance - their new AC
      motors take Chevron SRI#2. This is a 100w oil, which seems about
      right, but in the archives i found a post where someone said to use
      SAE20 in the motor as well as the bearings, rails, etc.

      any advice?

      alex (i have also checked underground storage) brooks
      press eight seventeen
      lexington, ky
    • Charles Sweitzer
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 20, 2005
        Alex:
        What is the info on the moter and what type of motor is it. My son sells oil and lubicants and he will tell you what you should be using from OEM and other info
        Charles Sweitzer

        alex brooks <alex@...> wrote:
[...]

        Book cover design Design book Graphic design book Book printing Printing book

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 21, 2005
          Alex

          This is quite interesting. You never know until you try. Sounds like
          they went to some lengths to help you out. You never know until you try.

          A while back I desperately wanted an obscure article by Beatrice Warde
          and was able to track the publisher down; turned out to be a paper
          company publshing its own magazine. The company librarian spend a good
          week looking for it and kept me continually informed. Much to her
          delight and mine, she finally found it and sent it express without charge.

          As I was typing this out one of my cats stepped on one of my surge
          protectors and shut it off. Lordy, I thought one of the computers had
          completely blown. Turns out she actually fixed a problem that has been
          vexing me most of the day.

          Thanks for the Victor Hammer info.

          Gerald

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, alex brooks <alex@p...> wrote:

          > Recently I decided to change the oil in my vandercook universal I motor
          > (apropos of nothing other than it hasn't been done in 42 years).
          >
          > Part of this was inspired by a hang tag next to the motor with a list
          > of recommended lubricants. part of the tag reads: "CAUTION: All of the
          > lubricants listed above contain extreme pressure additives. UNDER NO
          > CONDITIONS should unapproved substitutes be used as a lubricant with an
          > unsuitable additive may cause serious trouble. For information on
          > additional approved lubricants, write factory."
          >
          > All of these lubricants are no longer made, so I called Reliance and
          > asked them what modern oil to use. They referred me to their archives
          > dept. who informed me that they couldn't find a motor with my serial
          > number. Here's the entirety of their response via e-mail: " I have
          > looked again, are there any letters in front of the numbers? I'm not
          > having any luck locating documentation. We have also checked
          > underground storage."
          >
          > So, long story short - what oils do people use in their reliance AC
          > motors. The best answer i could get out of reliance - their new AC
          > motors take Chevron SRI#2. This is a 100w oil, which seems about
          > right, but in the archives i found a post where someone said to use
          > SAE20 in the motor as well as the bearings, rails, etc.
          >
          > any advice?
          >
          > alex (i have also checked underground storage) brooks
          > press eight seventeen
          > lexington, ky

        • Michael Andrews
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 21, 2005
            Hi Alex

            30 year ago when there used to be Vandercook repairmen
            I was advise to use a motor oil for the rails and
            bearings but he had me mix it with STP because the
            stickiness caused the lubricant to stick rather than
            drain off.

            42 years is long time, and oil does break down.
            Probably need somewhat less time between lube jobs.

            good luck

            michael

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/mFXtlB/TM

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Jessica Spring
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 21, 2005
              Alex--
              Once you've complete the oil change, can you post details of the process for
              other folks?
              Thanks,
              Jessica
            • parallel_imp
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 21, 2005
                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Michael Andrews <poetmik@y...>
                wrote:

                > 30 year ago when there used to be Vandercook repairmen
                > I was advise to use a motor oil for the rails and
                > bearings but he had me mix it with STP because the
                > stickiness caused the lubricant to stick rather than
                > drain off.

                The various Vandercook manuals say to wipe the bearers daily with a
                slightly oiled rag, and to clean and oil the rails daily. 20# motor
                oil is all they specify for this. I tend to use gear oil on the rails
                (and the gears) and it sticks nicely. Find it at any auto supply place.
                But you definitely don't want to apply oil to the bearers beyond
                what is in the rag. That will just attract dirt, which will increase
                wear. It's best to keep them clean.
                Eric Holub, SF
              • nagraph@frontier.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 22, 2005
                  Most of the motors made by Reliance (and others) for Vandercook were special
                  order or modified standard motors, and I may have something in the files. Often
                  the motor id draws a blank because of the proprietary nature of special orders
                  for oem uses--I've had that problem tracking down some of the Vandercook
                  bearings. If Gerald can give me the motor information, I may have some
                  information in the Vandercook files that I can look up when I get back to
                  Silverton after the 1st.

                  Fritz

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 23, 2005
                    Robert

                    Yeah, I sell direct as much as possible! but I am out of stock and
                    currently in computer upgrade hell. I can't possibly reprint until
                    maybe mid-January.

                    Try Boxcarpress.com (they carry the title).

                    Sorry.