The railroad to our rescue

  • Fritz Klinke
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2005
      This past week we had the Monotype sorts caster hard at work casting
      spacing, starting with 6 point and last night ending up with 14 point. We've
      been giving this old work horse more casting than it has seen in maybe 30
      years, and as we work it, the better it responds. But, we didn't have the
      right oils on hand. We located some 90 wt gear oil from the local gas
      station, but as it dripped into the pot, the smoke was really bad and we
      were afraid that we weren't getting the right oil to the mold.

      So, I journeyed down to the roundhouse of our local railroad in Durango,
      visited with some of the folks I know there, and we went into the oil room
      and got a couple of quarts of steam engine valve oil out of a 55 gallon
      drum. This stuff lubricates the pistons and valves of a steam engine and is
      designed to work with superheated steam at around 550 degrees F. It works
      just great, and someday, we'll get the right oil, but I thought this was a
      pretty good stop gap solution, and I got to see some of the engines that
      were being worked on and view the new coal that the railroad was not too
      happy with because it had a lot of shale mixed in with it, and I generally
      just extended the time warp we've been working in this past week.

      And, as a note, NA Graphics will be closed from Dec 21 on through Jan 2,
      2006.
      Monday will be the last day I can ship any of John Horn's calendars, so
      contact us if you want one, or visit our web site at www.nagraph.com.

      Fritz