Re: [PPLetterpress] Letterpress applied synthetic watermarks

  • Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2005
      Type Tom skribis

      > michaelmagnesi@... writes:
      > >
      > > a formulation for an ink that when applied via letterpress
      > > printing develops an effect similar to a watermark
      >
      > Possible alternatives would be to print without ink, with
      > heavy impression, or using transparent white, or clear
      > varnish.

      In the past, some people have printed with a light oil. The
      paper becomes somewhat transparent where the oil printed,
      so when placed over a light, the image looks somewhat
      like a watermark.

      I had seen samples of this technique years ago. It looks
      like a watermark in about the same way that thermography
      looks like engraving.

      (Not to be confused with the current "imitation watermark"
      used on checks, which is just printing in a transparent white
      ink. This doesn't look anything like a true watermark at all
      IMO.)

      --Ph. D.