Re: [PPLetterpress] Letterpress applied synthetic watermarks

  • RoyVM@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2005
      Contact Therm-o-type Corp in Florida, they manufacture watermarking units for
      printers, and can supply the chemicals necessary. The last kit I purchased
      was
      around $50 for the 4 parts. 800-237-9630

      Roy

    • typetom@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2005
        In a message dated 12/6/2005, michaelmagnesi@... writes:

        a formulation for an ink that when applied via letterpress printing develops
        an effect similar to a watermark

        Possible alternatives would be to print without ink, with heavy impression,
        or using transparent white, or clear varnish.

      • Ph.D.
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2005
          Type Tom skribis

          > michaelmagnesi@... writes:
          > >
          > > a formulation for an ink that when applied via letterpress
          > > printing develops an effect similar to a watermark
          >
          > Possible alternatives would be to print without ink, with
          > heavy impression, or using transparent white, or clear
          > varnish.

          In the past, some people have printed with a light oil. The
          paper becomes somewhat transparent where the oil printed,
          so when placed over a light, the image looks somewhat
          like a watermark.

          I had seen samples of this technique years ago. It looks
          like a watermark in about the same way that thermography
          looks like engraving.

          (Not to be confused with the current "imitation watermark"
          used on checks, which is just printing in a transparent white
          ink. This doesn't look anything like a true watermark at all
          IMO.)

          --Ph. D.