Letterpress applied synthetic watermarks

  • michaelmagnesi
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2005
      Hello All,

      I have a client that vaguely remembers seeing a formulation for an ink
      that when applied via letterpress printing develops an effect similar
      to a watermark. Does anyone have any info on this?

      Thank you!
      Michael
    • RoyVM@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2005
        Contact Therm-o-type Corp in Florida, they manufacture watermarking units for
        printers, and can supply the chemicals necessary. The last kit I purchased
        was
        around $50 for the 4 parts. 800-237-9630

        Roy

      • typetom@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2005
          In a message dated 12/6/2005, michaelmagnesi@... writes:

          a formulation for an ink that when applied via letterpress printing develops
          an effect similar to a watermark

          Possible alternatives would be to print without ink, with heavy impression,
          or using transparent white, or clear varnish.

        • Ph.D.
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 7, 2005
            Type Tom skribis

            > michaelmagnesi@... writes:
            > >
            > > a formulation for an ink that when applied via letterpress
            > > printing develops an effect similar to a watermark
            >
            > Possible alternatives would be to print without ink, with
            > heavy impression, or using transparent white, or clear
            > varnish.

            In the past, some people have printed with a light oil. The
            paper becomes somewhat transparent where the oil printed,
            so when placed over a light, the image looks somewhat
            like a watermark.

            I had seen samples of this technique years ago. It looks
            like a watermark in about the same way that thermography
            looks like engraving.

            (Not to be confused with the current "imitation watermark"
            used on checks, which is just printing in a transparent white
            ink. This doesn't look anything like a true watermark at all
            IMO.)

            --Ph. D.