Re: The King is Dead, Long Live the New King

    Message 1 of 51 , Dec 4 11:36 PM
      Hey Peter

      I'm surprised this still lingers. Gutenberg was known as a mechanical inventor involved with work on printing presses, and likely, the type mould. There really isn't much more original documentation than that. Gutenberg never claimed the invention of printing. Schoeffer was a copyist/scribe, who along with Fust completed B42 and whose printing house lasted for several generations. Who do you really think worked out the typography of B42? A "non-chirographic" mechanic or a calligrapher? :-)

      Gerald

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@d...>
      wrote:

      > Ludwig
      >
      > I could not agree more with your comments about Gutenberg (and the
      other incunabula), other than to say that he did in fact, have reason
      to "show off" his perfect composition. His book must stand against
      those of the high apex of the calligraphic tradition. Hanging
      punctuation was not Gutie's invention, after all, any more than
      dynamic proportion in page layout, etc.

      Message 51 of 51 , Apr 1, 2006
        Per

        I cut off the last of my post to you by mistake. I think the date of
        Schöffer's entry into the project is fairly accurate primarily because
        somewhere was a reference to his being in Mainz prior to the fall of
        Constantinople (1493), which was of considerable concern to the
        European community.