Using a Vandercook for production runs??

  • mzslb
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 20, 2005
      I've never used a vandercook before, I've only used a C&P and Kluge
      (I design and manufacture letterpress stationery). I've heard you
      can also get really great results from a cylinder press (according
      to the infamous owners of Yee Haw Industries in TN - who do
      incredible work), and I'm looking into obtaining a No.4.

      My runs are fairly limited edition runs - smaller
      quantities....around 200 at a time. I guess the Vandercook's
      original intent was for a proofing press, but is it recommended or
      not to do actual production runs on a vandercook? At this time, I
      rent studio time from a printer so I don't have the room in my home
      for a C&P (but would love to acquire one in the future), but would
      have room for a Vandercook that I would love to play around and
      experiment on, and possibly do some production runs. Is
      registration fairly tight on a Vandercook, are wash ups pretty easy,
      set up pretty easy, quality good, etc? And, can you run pretty
      heavy stocks? (i.e. I run an 80 pt. pulpboard on the Kluge and C&P).

      Info appreciated...thanks!
      sherry
    • frogvalleyforge
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 21, 2005
        "I don't have the room in my home for a C&P (but would love to acquire
        one in the future), but would have room for a Vandercook"

        Vandercooks may be narrower, but they are longer. I think they take
        MORE space.

        I would reccomend the C and P for production, although the Vandercook
        will work...

        IMHO.
      • Charles Jones
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 21, 2005
          I agree that for single pages, french-fold cards etc. the C& P are
          faster esp for long runs, but the Vandercook allows for larger page
          imposition. I especially like print and turn (or flop!) with two or
          four page set-ups. I also prefer not having to do elaborate
          make-readys. So the answer really lies in answering " what kind of
          printing are you going to do?" I do a lot of books with editions of
          around 100. I can hand crank 100 revolutions of the press in about 1
          hr. sometimes longer but averaging an hour. Some have said that the
          current letterpress movement is due to the cylinder press because the
          learning curve is so much less than the platen. That said, I would
          love to have a motorized carriage for my Vandercook, having recently
          finished the printing of Shakespear's "Timon of Athens" in an edition
          of 200, having five 8 pg signatures. And yes, they take up a lot more
          space than the C&P.

          Cheers, Charlie

          On Nov 21, 2005, at 8:38 AM, frogvalleyforge wrote:

          > "I don't have the room in my home for a C&P (but would love to acquire
          > one in the future), but would have room for a Vandercook"
          >
          > Vandercooks may be narrower, but they are longer. I think they take
          > MORE space.
          >
          > I would reccomend the C and P for production, although the Vandercook
          > will work...
          >
          > IMHO.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          LaNana Creek Press