Hello to the list

  • Joel Benson
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2001
      Hi everyone,
      I'm new to the list and wanted to send out a self-intro. I'm relatively
      new to the listserv thing, only been on the LETPRESS and BOOK_ARTS ones
      for a couple of months, but enjoying the exchanges.

      I used to be a pressman for Julie Holcomb Printers, from 1993 to 1998,
      in the halcyon days of her tenure in San Francisco. Before that I
      apprenticed and worked at Yolla Bolly Press and the Vinalhaven Press, an
      editioning workshop in Maine.

      I've been doing an assortment of jobs since I left JHP, but with the
      recent acquisition of a Vandercook SP-15 and the renewal of many press
      acquaintances and friendships I am looking forward to a return to the
      world of ink and paper. For the time being I am operating on a hobby
      level, but my ambition is to open a job shop and try to make my living
      on it.

      I printed from photopolymer almost exclusively, while at JHP, though I
      never took full opportunity to experiment with the material the way I
      should like to have done. I am planning to take a class at the SF
      Center for the Book this fall, with Pat Reagh, to glean some ideas for
      other ways to fix images into the p-p. I'm hoping to entice some artist
      co-conspirators to work with me to produce some prints, as vehicles for
      experimentation.

      I'm looking forward to hearing about what other people are doing out
      there.
      Regards,
      Joel B.