Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Washed out...

  • Ed Inman
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2002
      Gerald wrote:

      > However. One is not working at the preliminary stage of technique when one
      is
      > hand processing a photopolymer plate (as an economic shortcut) as one
      would be
      > if he/she were cutting a punch or cutting a woodengraving.

      Agreed. I'm not an absolutist about doing everything at a preliminary
      stage. Nor do I have anything against machines for those who can justify
      their cost.

      > In his _Printing
      > with the Handpress_, Lewis Allen wrote, "inferior tools corrode the
      spirit."
      > There is a difference.

      I'm not sure in what context Mr. Allen was making this point, but if I may
      be allowed a counterpoint it would be that tools, no matter how
      sophisticated or primitive, are only as good as how they are used.

      Saying that only people who can afford platemakers can make good plates is
      sort of like saying only people who can afford Hasselblads can take good
      pictures.

      Such a position no doubt makes very good sense to those who own platemakers
      and Hasselblads, but I'm not sure how helpful it is to those who can
      appreciate making the most out of more modest tools.

      Hand washout takes some practice and may not always be perfect, no doubt,
      but for some people that is part of the challenge and part of the fun.

      Ed
    • bielerpr
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2002
        Dear Ed

        Good come-back—though now when someone's got problems with hand
        washout I'm going to expect YOU to respond and guide them along!!!

        All best

        Gerald