Re: friendly plastic?

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2005

      I assume your "closed-loop system of fewer points with a reusable
      stock-in-trade" was metal type? I think the points you raise about
      energy loss, resources used, would apply to any manufacturing process.
      In the 50s and 60s a great percentage of the manufacturing effort and
      "stored energy" that went into metal type technology over the past
      century was simply lost as materials, equipment, type, etc., were
      scrapped and melted down. The same can be said about computer
      technology and most any electronic technology where progress makes
      obsolete with near lightening speed.

      To answer Chris's question. Photopolymer waste is essentially carbon
      in organic molecules. In terms of how does it effect the environment,
      it meets EPA standards for disposal into the water system. Likely the
      average homemaker dumps more hazardous stuff down the drain during the
      daily cleaning process.

      I have heard that some kind of polymer is actually pumped into old
      sewer lines as it coats the walls of the pipes and prevents lead
      contamination. A good portion of all living matter is polymer-based
      (in the scientific sense). I could go on and on. Can you recycle
      plates? I assume plastic-backed plates can be recycled as plastic?
      since that is what they are. Maybe steel-backed plates could be
      recycled as steel (I assume the polymer would burn off as carbon).

      > preface:
      > I imagine many loathe me for my contrarian opinions and occasional
      > from cyber-space. (apologies for the impertinent snipes, none for the
      > considered opinions. they're 15 years in the making. and I don't
      even own a
      > windmill.)
      > --
      > but in regard to the query at hand:
      > friendly plastic? probably not.
      > trace all the raw materials of the process to their sources.
      > how many are there, and what are their chemical constituents?
      > how did each component material make it from point A to point B. how
      > friendly was the manufacture of each component material?
      > how friendly is the process to make the plates themselves. the
      packaging for
      > the plates. the factory the plates were made in.
      > is film environmentally friendly? what about the materials to make
      the film?
      > the chems to process the film. the energy to ship the film to the
      > bureau? the packaging to store the film. to store the chems. to
      dispose of
      > the spent chems? the wasted film.
      > how friendly was the process to make the plate maker itself. how
      much energy
      > to ship the combined exposure and washout unit anderson & vreeland?
      to keep