Washington Press (Morgan and Wilcox)

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2005
      (apologies for cross-posting, and sending to west coast lists, but
      these are what I've been reading!)

      I have a Washington-style standing press (c. late 19th C) in storage
      in a Chicago area warehouse, and have finally concluded that I'm
      unlikely to ever move it and build the frisket and tympan it needs
      (also a new belt for the bed rail crank).
      Will entertain serious offers from anyone interested (reply off list
      please!), prior to placing for auction on eBay.
      A few (rather poor, sorry) photos taken when I last went to check on
      the press are here:
      http://plone.fraterdeus.com/Members/pf/press?navBatchStart=0
      (best results with web standards compliant browser, ie, something
      other than internet explorer)

      The toggle joint was removed during transit, all the pieces were
      there at the time.
      If there's any interest in viewing the press, I will authorize a
      visit with Hallet Storage in Summit, Illinois.

      This press was used for proofing in an engraving office in Michigan
      prior to being moved to a bookshop in Hyde Park Chicago, where I
      found it and acquired for the School of the Art Institute in the
      mid-80s.
      When the School closed out (once again) the letterpress typography
      lab, I ended up with the press, which was moved directly from the
      school to the warehouse where it's sat for oh, at least six or seven
      years.

      The storage fees are mounting, so with a tear in my eye for lost
      dreams of grandeur, I'm hoping someone will give this lovely piece
      the TLC it deserves.

      Hallet specializes in moving libraries, and sensitive equipment, so
      will be able to quote immediately on transfer costs, if needed.

      Thanks, and regards!
      Peter

      Semiotx Inc. http://typeandmeaning.com

      Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com