Re: Paul Hayden Duensing's 16th Century Roman

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005
      Ludwig

      Thanks, but Paul's Rustica and his Sixteenth Century Roman were two
      completely different faces. The former is a face based on an early
      manuscript hand, the latter was literally based on a 16th century
      roman that Paul had found (the actual punches or matrices).

      Paul never cast much of this stuff as he would just announce the
      casting and base the amount on the orders that came in. I bought
      several fonts of the Sixteenth Century Roman at the time, and
      subsequently used it for a number of projects including the titling
      throughout a book. Eventually the metal type was sold off. As it turns
      out, the book may be reprinted and may require a change. Thus the search.

      I was thinking Paul Lloyd, Manfred Klein, Deiter Speffmann et al would
      have made a digital replication. I try to pick up every historical
      font these folks do, but that is also part of the problem as their
      type output is massive and they commonly do not use the original
      appellation.

      Hopefully I still have a specimen around somewhere and can reconstruct
      what I need from that.

      Gerald

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005
        Tom

        Looks like our mutual information is leap frogging.

        If the new publisher needs a repro I will certainly send them your way.

        The Dominicus is from Foster & Horton. Don't know if they are still
        around but they were head quartered in Santa Barbara in the early 90s.
        Basically I think they tried to adjust it for the digital realm
        (thickening letterforms, cleaning up some of the roughness, adjusting
        the baseline) and in doing so tossed a great deal of its original funk
        and beauty.

        Gerald

        > Hi Gerald,
        > I could hand set it for you and send a proof.
        >
        > Rustica and Sixteenth Century Roman are two different faces, both
        made into
        > metal type by Paul Hayden Duensing -- Rustica based on early Roman
        lettering,
        > and 16th Century made from a partial set of antique mats that Paul
        Duensing
        > found in Italy. 16th Century has a rough quality similar to Caslon
        Antique,
        > which was originally sold by BB&S under the name Fifteenth Century.
        >
        > I have not been able to find a copy of Dominicus to compare with
        the metal
        > type. I'd love more info on this digital version.
        > Best wishes, Tom
        >
        > Tom Parson
        > Now It's Up To You Publications
        > 157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
        > (303) 777-8951
        > http://members.aol.com/typetom

      • Dan Franklin
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005
          Would Paul know the name of the digital font? My last e-mail address for him is

          Paul Duensing <Pahadu@...>