Re: [PPLetterpress] Paul Hayden Duensing's 16th Century Roman

  • typetom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005
      In a message dated 11/4/2005, ppletterpress@... writes:

      You could try searching on "Rustica" which seems to have been the original
      name of the fount. -> Rustica Sixteenth Century _Roman_
      (mailto:Roman@yahoogroups.com)

      Does anyone know if Paul Hayden Duensing's 16th Century Roman was
      digitized under a different name? I do have a very bad rendition of it
      called Dominicus but I'm looking for a more exacting replication.
      Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
      Gerald

      Hi Gerald,
      I could hand set it for you and send a proof.

      Rustica and Sixteenth Century Roman are two different faces, both made into
      metal type by Paul Hayden Duensing -- Rustica based on early Roman lettering,
      and 16th Century made from a partial set of antique mats that Paul Duensing
      found in Italy. 16th Century has a rough quality similar to Caslon Antique,
      which was originally sold by BB&S under the name Fifteenth Century.

      I have not been able to find a copy of Dominicus to compare with the metal
      type. I'd love more info on this digital version.
      Best wishes, Tom

      Tom Parson
      Now It's Up To You Publications
      157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
      (303) 777-8951
      http://members.aol.com/typetom

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005
        Ludwig

        Thanks, but Paul's Rustica and his Sixteenth Century Roman were two
        completely different faces. The former is a face based on an early
        manuscript hand, the latter was literally based on a 16th century
        roman that Paul had found (the actual punches or matrices).

        Paul never cast much of this stuff as he would just announce the
        casting and base the amount on the orders that came in. I bought
        several fonts of the Sixteenth Century Roman at the time, and
        subsequently used it for a number of projects including the titling
        throughout a book. Eventually the metal type was sold off. As it turns
        out, the book may be reprinted and may require a change. Thus the search.

        I was thinking Paul Lloyd, Manfred Klein, Deiter Speffmann et al would
        have made a digital replication. I try to pick up every historical
        font these folks do, but that is also part of the problem as their
        type output is massive and they commonly do not use the original
        appellation.

        Hopefully I still have a specimen around somewhere and can reconstruct
        what I need from that.

        Gerald

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005
          Tom

          Looks like our mutual information is leap frogging.

          If the new publisher needs a repro I will certainly send them your way.

          The Dominicus is from Foster & Horton. Don't know if they are still
          around but they were head quartered in Santa Barbara in the early 90s.
          Basically I think they tried to adjust it for the digital realm
          (thickening letterforms, cleaning up some of the roughness, adjusting
          the baseline) and in doing so tossed a great deal of its original funk
          and beauty.

          Gerald

          > Hi Gerald,
          > I could hand set it for you and send a proof.
          >
          > Rustica and Sixteenth Century Roman are two different faces, both
          made into
          > metal type by Paul Hayden Duensing -- Rustica based on early Roman
          lettering,
          > and 16th Century made from a partial set of antique mats that Paul
          Duensing
          > found in Italy. 16th Century has a rough quality similar to Caslon
          Antique,
          > which was originally sold by BB&S under the name Fifteenth Century.
          >
          > I have not been able to find a copy of Dominicus to compare with
          the metal
          > type. I'd love more info on this digital version.
          > Best wishes, Tom
          >
          > Tom Parson
          > Now It's Up To You Publications
          > 157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
          > (303) 777-8951
          > http://members.aol.com/typetom

        • Dan Franklin
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005
            Would Paul know the name of the digital font? My last e-mail address for him is

            Paul Duensing <Pahadu@...>