Re: [PPLetterpress] Paul Hayden Duensing's 16th Century Roman

  • austin
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005
      Ludwig M. Solzen wrote:

      > Gerald
      >
      > You could try searching on "Rustica" which seems to have been the original
      > name of the fount.
      >
      > -> Rustica Sixteenth Century Roman
      >

      > Ludwig

      Or you could use the metal type as Paul designed it.

      --

      Austin Jones
      prints by AJ

    • typetom@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005

        (mailto:Roman@yahoogroups.com)

        Does anyone know if Paul Hayden Duensing's 16th Century Roman was
        digitized under a different name? I do have a very bad rendition of it
        called Dominicus but I'm looking for a more exacting replication.
        Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
        Gerald

        Hi Gerald,
        I could hand set it for you and send a proof.

        Rustica and Sixteenth Century Roman are two different faces, both made into
        metal type by Paul Hayden Duensing -- Rustica based on early Roman lettering,
        and 16th Century made from a partial set of antique mats that Paul Duensing
        found in Italy. 16th Century has a rough quality similar to Caslon Antique,
        which was originally sold by BB&S under the name Fifteenth Century.

        I have not been able to find a copy of Dominicus to compare with the metal
        type. I'd love more info on this digital version.
        Best wishes, Tom

        Tom Parson
        Now It's Up To You Publications
        157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
        (303) 777-8951
        http://members.aol.com/typetom

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005
          Ludwig

          Thanks, but Paul's Rustica and his Sixteenth Century Roman were two
          completely different faces. The former is a face based on an early
          manuscript hand, the latter was literally based on a 16th century
          roman that Paul had found (the actual punches or matrices).

          Paul never cast much of this stuff as he would just announce the
          casting and base the amount on the orders that came in. I bought
          several fonts of the Sixteenth Century Roman at the time, and
          subsequently used it for a number of projects including the titling
          throughout a book. Eventually the metal type was sold off. As it turns
          out, the book may be reprinted and may require a change. Thus the search.

          I was thinking Paul Lloyd, Manfred Klein, Deiter Speffmann et al would
          have made a digital replication. I try to pick up every historical
          font these folks do, but that is also part of the problem as their
          type output is massive and they commonly do not use the original
          appellation.

          Hopefully I still have a specimen around somewhere and can reconstruct
          what I need from that.

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005
            Tom

            Looks like our mutual information is leap frogging.

            If the new publisher needs a repro I will certainly send them your way.

            The Dominicus is from Foster & Horton. Don't know if they are still
            around but they were head quartered in Santa Barbara in the early 90s.
            Basically I think they tried to adjust it for the digital realm
            (thickening letterforms, cleaning up some of the roughness, adjusting
            the baseline) and in doing so tossed a great deal of its original funk
            and beauty.

            Gerald

            > Hi Gerald,
            > I could hand set it for you and send a proof.
            >
            > Rustica and Sixteenth Century Roman are two different faces, both
            made into
            > metal type by Paul Hayden Duensing -- Rustica based on early Roman
            lettering,
            > and 16th Century made from a partial set of antique mats that Paul
            Duensing
            > found in Italy. 16th Century has a rough quality similar to Caslon
            Antique,
            > which was originally sold by BB&S under the name Fifteenth Century.
            >
            > I have not been able to find a copy of Dominicus to compare with
            the metal
            > type. I'd love more info on this digital version.
            > Best wishes, Tom
            >
            > Tom Parson
            > Now It's Up To You Publications
            > 157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
            > (303) 777-8951
            > http://members.aol.com/typetom

          • Dan Franklin
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005
              Would Paul know the name of the digital font? My last e-mail address for him is

              Paul Duensing <Pahadu@...>