Paul Hayden Duensing's 16th Century Roman

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2005
      Does anyone know if Paul Hayden Duensing's 16th Century Roman was
      digitized under a different name? I do have a very bad rendition of it
      called Dominicus but I'm looking for a more exacting replication.

      Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

      Gerald
    • Ludwig M. Solzen
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005

        You could try searching on "Rustica" which seems to have been the original
        name of the fount.

        -> Rustica Sixteenth Century Roman

        Ludwig

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005
          Ludwig M. Solzen wrote:

          > Gerald
          >
          > You could try searching on "Rustica" which seems to have been the original
          > name of the fount.
          >
          > -> Rustica Sixteenth Century Roman
          >

          > Ludwig

          Or you could use the metal type as Paul designed it.

          --

          Austin Jones
          prints by AJ

        • typetom@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005

            (mailto:Roman@yahoogroups.com)

            Does anyone know if Paul Hayden Duensing's 16th Century Roman was
            digitized under a different name? I do have a very bad rendition of it
            called Dominicus but I'm looking for a more exacting replication.
            Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
            Gerald

            Hi Gerald,
            I could hand set it for you and send a proof.

            Rustica and Sixteenth Century Roman are two different faces, both made into
            metal type by Paul Hayden Duensing -- Rustica based on early Roman lettering,
            and 16th Century made from a partial set of antique mats that Paul Duensing
            found in Italy. 16th Century has a rough quality similar to Caslon Antique,
            which was originally sold by BB&S under the name Fifteenth Century.

            I have not been able to find a copy of Dominicus to compare with the metal
            type. I'd love more info on this digital version.
            Best wishes, Tom

            Tom Parson
            Now It's Up To You Publications
            157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
            (303) 777-8951
            http://members.aol.com/typetom

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005
              Ludwig

              Thanks, but Paul's Rustica and his Sixteenth Century Roman were two
              completely different faces. The former is a face based on an early
              manuscript hand, the latter was literally based on a 16th century
              roman that Paul had found (the actual punches or matrices).

              Paul never cast much of this stuff as he would just announce the
              casting and base the amount on the orders that came in. I bought
              several fonts of the Sixteenth Century Roman at the time, and
              subsequently used it for a number of projects including the titling
              throughout a book. Eventually the metal type was sold off. As it turns
              out, the book may be reprinted and may require a change. Thus the search.

              I was thinking Paul Lloyd, Manfred Klein, Deiter Speffmann et al would
              have made a digital replication. I try to pick up every historical
              font these folks do, but that is also part of the problem as their
              type output is massive and they commonly do not use the original
              appellation.

              Hopefully I still have a specimen around somewhere and can reconstruct
              what I need from that.

              Gerald

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005
                Tom

                Looks like our mutual information is leap frogging.

                If the new publisher needs a repro I will certainly send them your way.

                The Dominicus is from Foster & Horton. Don't know if they are still
                around but they were head quartered in Santa Barbara in the early 90s.
                Basically I think they tried to adjust it for the digital realm
                (thickening letterforms, cleaning up some of the roughness, adjusting
                the baseline) and in doing so tossed a great deal of its original funk
                and beauty.

                Gerald

                > Hi Gerald,
                > I could hand set it for you and send a proof.
                >
                > Rustica and Sixteenth Century Roman are two different faces, both
                made into
                > metal type by Paul Hayden Duensing -- Rustica based on early Roman
                lettering,
                > and 16th Century made from a partial set of antique mats that Paul
                Duensing
                > found in Italy. 16th Century has a rough quality similar to Caslon
                Antique,
                > which was originally sold by BB&S under the name Fifteenth Century.
                >
                > I have not been able to find a copy of Dominicus to compare with
                the metal
                > type. I'd love more info on this digital version.
                > Best wishes, Tom
                >
                > Tom Parson
                > Now It's Up To You Publications
                > 157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
                > (303) 777-8951
                > http://members.aol.com/typetom

              • Dan Franklin
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005
                  Would Paul know the name of the digital font? My last e-mail address for him is

                  Paul Duensing <Pahadu@...>